Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Python Tool Doesn't Show Any Results or Errors on Run

DaveF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Python Tool Doesn't Show Any Results or Errors on Run

When running the Python tool in Alteryx, the output is blank, and no results or errors are shown.

• Python may have been previously installed by another app (e.g., Anaconda)

Environment

• Product - Alteryx Designer

Diagnosis

To ensure the issue is with the Python tool in Alteryx, create a simple 2-tool workflow with test data and code as below. Click Run in the Python tool and verify the tool returns no output and no errors.

Step 1 - Run the workflow with a Text Input Tool and Python code as below

image.png

Step 2 - Verify that the Alteryx engine reports no errors

image.png

Step 3 - Verify that the Browse tool shows no data available

image.png

Cause

The IPython kernel being called by the Jupyter Notebook may be referencing a previously installed or non-existent Python binary, rather than the Python binary installed with Alteryx.

Solution

1. Open an Administrator Command Prompt and navigate to: NOTE - For versions 2019.4 and up to 2021.1.4 (but not including) the PythonTool_venv was renamed to Jupytertool_venv. Then in 2021.1.4 and higher it was renamed to DesignerBaseTools_venv
    • Admin Version of Alteryx:C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\PythonTool_venv\Scripts
    • Non-Admin Version of Alteryx: %LocalAppData%\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\PythonTool_venv\Scripts
  2. Enter the command: jupyter kernelspec listimage.png
  3. Navigate to the directory returned in step (2) in a File Explorer. If you have multiple directories, repeat steps 3-4 for each directory.
  4. Open kernel.json in a Text Editor and verify that the first item in the argv list references the python.exe in the same directory as the directory from (1) or simply "python" in cases where the directory from (1) is included in your PATH Environmental Variable. To test if you have a valid argument, you can simply try entering the argument in a command prompt and it should open a Python shell. You can also include a direct path to the python.exe if changing PATH Variables is not an option for you similar to this path (C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\PythonTool_venv\\python.exe  (Admin version), or %LocalAppData%\\Alteryx\\bin\\Miniconda3\\PythonTool_venv\\python.exe (Non-Admin))
  5. image.png

Additional Resources

Comments
JakeS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Very helpful. Thanks @DaveF !

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

For the browse tool to display something on channel # 1 you have to put the following code.
if it's a dataframe
Alteryx.write (data, 1)

This will have output 1

[]

DaveF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @geraldo - thanks for catching that! I fixed the screenshot. This article is actually showing an uncommon environmental setup when the data won't show up in #1 because Jupyter is looking for python in the wrong place, and how to fix it. 

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi DaveF,

I am first time using the python tool in my aleryx and i used a simple code in python tool

f = open("D:\\Python\\demofile2.txt", "x")
f.write("Now the file has more content!")
f.close()

but it is not generated any file. Also it dont show me any error message.

I followed your all steps mentioned above and i tried a simple code as well but no luck 😞

from ayx import Alteryx
data = Alteryx.read(#1)
print(data)
Alteryx.write(data,1)

I searched a lot on this topic but i didnt get any solution.

Could you please help me to fix this issue. I am using the Alteryx desinger 2019.1.6

Thank you!

MatthewP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @alt_tush 

Would you be able to confirm that you have quotes around the #1 and would you also be able to include the error message you are getting during either one of the blocks of code you are running?

PhilBalderson
8 - Asteroid

I'm getting the same error after installing 

I did some checks on the installation of Jupyter notebook, as per guide here

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\runpy.py", line 194, in _run_module_as_main
return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
File "c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\DesignerBaseTools_vEnv\Scripts\jupyter-notebook.exe\__main__.py", line 4, in <module>
File "c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\notebook\notebookapp.py", line 66, in <module>
from tornado import httpserver
File "c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\site-packages\tornado\httpserver.py", line 29, in <module>
import ssl
File "c:\program files\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\envs\designerbasetools_venv\lib\ssl.py", line 98, in <module>
import _ssl # if we can't import it, let the error propagate
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _ssl: The specified module could not be found.

Anyone else getting this?