Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Publish To Tableau Server Error: Access Is Denied

EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer
    • Version 2018.1+
    • Desktop Automation license (Designer + Scheduler)
  • Publish To Tableau Server tool
    • Version 1.09
  • Tableau Server
    • Version 10.5

Error creating the file “C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\PublishToTableauServer\TableauServer.Selection.ServerSite.yxdb”:Access is denied. 

When scheduling a workflow with a Publish To Tableau Server tool, there is an access denied error. The error does not occur when manually running the workflow. 

Cause

When Designer processes a Publish To Tableau Server tool, the tool’s macro generates a file with site selection information to complete the connection. If the workflow is scheduled with Desktop Automation, the Alteryx Service needs to write this file and it does not have permission. 

Resolution

Change the Alteryx Service log on account from the default of the Local System account to your Windows Active Directory account. 

Go to the Windows Search Bar, type in Services, and then in the Services screen, right-click on the Alteryx Service, and select Properties

Next, on the Log On tab, change the account to your Windows Active Directory account.

Comments
HelenL
8 - Asteroid

I'm getting Error: The file was not uploaded successfully.

• I'm manually running the workflow.
  • The problem is occurring for multiple Alteryx workflows.
  • These have been in use for a long time (>12 months).
  • I've disconnected and connected the tool.
  • I have deleted the tool and configured it again.
  • I've shut down Alteryx and opened the workflow again.

I can publish from Tableau Desktop to Tableau Online. So Tableau Online is not down. 

Any thoughts welcome. 

Regards,

Helen

SabrinaCB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @HelenL Thanks for posting. You mention that you are using Tableau Online. The error you are receiving is due to a separate issue, that started occurring after Tableau changed API responses in Tableau Online 2020.4 in some instances.

Please see the following article on how to resolve, and if you continue to encounter issues please don't hesitate to contact Alteryx Support. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Publish-to-Tableau-Server-Error-The...

Hope that helps and Happy Holidays!

Sabrina

HelenL
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Sabrina. I've just been doing my month-end updates and it would have been a disaster without your timely advice above. I was pleased that I only needed to modify the connector once, not in every workflow. 

SabrinaCB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you @HelenL ! Happy to help

HelenL
8 - Asteroid

Today I have this error when publishing to Tableau 

Error: Publish to Tableau Server (245): Tool #252: Tool #4: Tableau Server API Request (Publish file) Error Code 500000: Internal Server Error -- The server encountered an error and cannot complete your request. Contact your server administrator.

I can log in to Tableau Online OK. So it's not down.

I am running monthly updates. The workflows have run successfully many times before.

This is happening with multiple workflows with different input data files (different survey clients).

The workflow that consolidates all the client data, ran and published to Tableau Online OK on 29th November. Today it gives the same error. 

Actions to date:

I've exited Alteryx.

Shut down Windows

Rebooted the iMac. 

The Publish to Tableau server tool is:

Version:
Last modified: August 11, 2021

I have had repeated warnings from Tableau Online that an update was pending. We are on 10az. So could this have impacted the connection and if so is there a workaround?
Jender
6 - Meteoroid

Hi HelenL - I am having the exact same problem this morning. Please post if you find a solution. Thanks!

HelenL
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jender

I'm no nearer a solution and it's having a huge impact.  But your reply makes me feel so much better!  

Now we just need someone to have the problem who has the know-how to fix it.  It seems to me that there will need to be tweak to the macro to overcome a change by Tableau Online. 

Jender
6 - Meteoroid

Hi HelenL,

It seems to be the 'Overwrite' output option that is the problem because I just used the 'Create' option and created a data source with a different name and that worked. 

Jender
6 - Meteoroid

@HelenL FYI, I submitted a case to Alteryx Support.

HelenL
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Sorry @Jender, I've just realised that my reply (using email) last night failed. I was just saying thanks for letting me know you had contacted support.

When I logged into Tableau Online this morning I had confirmation that an update had been completed. Please let me know if you get a solution. I've written to my clients to say their updates will be delayed as I'm hoping I don't need to publish them all manually. 

Helen

Jender
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @HelenL - Good news! I just tried my flow this morning and it ran without the error!

HelenL
8 - Asteroid

Well done. I didn't think to keep trying. I didn't expect it to resolve itself 🙂 

I've just run five workflows OK. No error and the datafile shows as modified today.  🙂