Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Oracle Unable to create System alias and defaults to a User connection

gouthamiunnava
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Issue

After upgrading to Designer 2021.2, all previously saved System type connections will automatically be changed to a User type connection if they are edited and saved.
Creating new Oracle connections will not save a System type connection upon saving. On setting up a SYSTEM connection on the designer, the connection is added to the UserAlias.xml file and not the SystemAlias.xml file.

The connection is not visible as a System connection as shown in the below screenshot
  • The connection is created, but as a User connection and not a System connection

Manage Data Cont*ctions  Search for a data connection...  Sync All  Name  Crown OO Reporting sc...  Open Options Production  Test Oracle System Con...  Titanium Production  Titanium Production  Connection Summary  Driver 17 for SQL  _EncPwd1_@baesvlmds242v.GR...  Add Connection  Type  System  System  User  User  System

• The connection details are added to the UserAlias.xml file as opposed to being added to the systemAlias.xml file.
a  xandrev•.sne112 on GLKAS5281V Windows (C:)  Users  - Notepad  xandrew.sne112 AppData Roaming Alteryx  Engine  on Files  oft SQL Sewer  Mail  ws Media Player  Multimedia Platform  Photo Viewer  Portable Devices  •illman  chetanwaIa2  Name  2021.3  Date modified  03/11/2021 07:25  15/12/2021 09:36  Typ e  File folder  XML Document  File Edit Format View Help  kA1iases>  KAI i as Production" >  TECHMODAL_READONLY/ .GREENLNK.  <CosmeticName>Titanium Production</CosmeticName>  Oracle System Connection" >  <Connec i : GREENLNK .  <SourceUr1  < CosmeticName></CosmeticName>

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer Version - 2021.3.2

Cause

The issue is reported in the defect GDC-813

Diagnosis 

The connection details are added to the UserAlias.xml file as opposed to being added to the systemAlias.xml file.a  xandrev•.sne112 on GLKAS5281V Windows (C:)  Users  - Notepad  xandrew.sne112 AppData Roaming Alteryx  Engine  on Files  oft SQL Sewer  Mail  ws Media Player  Multimedia Platform  Photo Viewer  Portable Devices  •illman  chetanwaIa2  Name  2021.3  Date modified  03/11/2021 07:25  15/12/2021 09:36  Typ e  File folder  XML Document  File Edit Format View Help  kA1iases>  KAI i as Production" >  TECHMODAL_READONLY/ .GREENLNK.  <CosmeticName>Titanium Production</CosmeticName>  Oracle System Connection" >  <Connec i : GREENLNK .  <SourceUr1  < CosmeticName></CosmeticName>

Resolution

Solution A
  1. A workaround was found by creating a new connection in 'Options>Advanced Options> Manage Data Connections> Add New Connection>'Other' and creating an oracle connection

image.pngimage.png

Solution B

1. Another possible workaround is to manually update/add the connection to the SystemAlias.xml file. The connection details can be copied over from the userAlias.xml file as shown below:
image.pngimage.png

Additional Resources