We have extended our Early Bird Tickets for Inspire 2023! Discounted pricing goes until February 24th. Save your spot!

Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.

Oracle Unable to create System alias and defaults to a User connection

gouthamiunnava
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Issue

After upgrading to Designer 2021.2, all previously saved System type connections will automatically be changed to a User type connection if they are edited and saved.
Creating new Oracle connections will not save a System type connection upon saving. On setting up a SYSTEM connection on the designer, the connection is added to the UserAlias.xml file and not the SystemAlias.xml file.

The connection is not visible as a System connection as shown in the below screenshot
  • The connection is created, but as a User connection and not a System connection

Manage Data Cont*ctions  Search for a data connection...  Sync All  Name  Crown OO Reporting sc...  Open Options Production  Test Oracle System Con...  Titanium Production  Titanium Production  Connection Summary  Driver 17 for SQL  _EncPwd1_@baesvlmds242v.GR...  Add Connection  Type  System  System  User  User  System

• The connection details are added to the UserAlias.xml file as opposed to being added to the systemAlias.xml file.
a  xandrev•.sne112 on GLKAS5281V Windows (C:)  Users  - Notepad  xandrew.sne112 AppData Roaming Alteryx  Engine  on Files  oft SQL Sewer  Mail  ws Media Player  Multimedia Platform  Photo Viewer  Portable Devices  •illman  chetanwaIa2  Name  2021.3  Date modified  03/11/2021 07:25  15/12/2021 09:36  Typ e  File folder  XML Document  File Edit Format View Help  kA1iases>  KAI i as Production" >  TECHMODAL_READONLY/ .GREENLNK.  <CosmeticName>Titanium Production</CosmeticName>  Oracle System Connection" >  <Connec i : GREENLNK .  <SourceUr1  < CosmeticName></CosmeticName>

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer Version - 2021.3.2

Cause

The issue is reported in the defect GDC-813

Diagnosis 

The connection details are added to the UserAlias.xml file as opposed to being added to the systemAlias.xml file.a  xandrev•.sne112 on GLKAS5281V Windows (C:)  Users  - Notepad  xandrew.sne112 AppData Roaming Alteryx  Engine  on Files  oft SQL Sewer  Mail  ws Media Player  Multimedia Platform  Photo Viewer  Portable Devices  •illman  chetanwaIa2  Name  2021.3  Date modified  03/11/2021 07:25  15/12/2021 09:36  Typ e  File folder  XML Document  File Edit Format View Help  kA1iases>  KAI i as Production" >  TECHMODAL_READONLY/ .GREENLNK.  <CosmeticName>Titanium Production</CosmeticName>  Oracle System Connection" >  <Connec i : GREENLNK .  <SourceUr1  < CosmeticName></CosmeticName>

Resolution

Solution A
  1. A workaround was found by creating a new connection in 'Options>Advanced Options> Manage Data Connections> Add New Connection>'Other' and creating an oracle connection

image.pngimage.png

Solution B

1. Another possible workaround is to manually update/add the connection to the SystemAlias.xml file. The connection details can be copied over from the userAlias.xml file as shown below:
image.pngimage.png

Additional Resources