Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

No Lua script was found

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer
    • 2018.4+
  • Windows Operating System
  • ODBC database connection (Must be a DSN connection)

Issue

When reading in from a database, the following message is seen:

Info: Input Data (n): No Lua script was found for corresponding ODBC driver.

Cause

This message indicates that you are connecting to a database, and no Lua script was found. This is expected when you are connecting to a database that does not work out of the box with Alteryx. Additionally, only some of the supported datasources have .lua files provided. 

Resolution

Please note this is a message and not an error or warning; it will in no way prevent your workflows from executing successfully if you are not using a custom Lua script.

To support new ODBC drivers that Alteryx has not validated/tested, you can create a custom Lua script that will map driver and database data types to Alteryx types.To learn more about this (and find sample Lua scripts) please see the documentation Customizable ODBC Driver Connections found in the Alteryx bin folder of your install directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\ODBC\Customizable ODBC Driver Connections.pdf)

Comments
AnupD
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Thanks for this post. We are seeing this message when we are trying to connect to a new DB via ODBC. We do not receive any error and the workflow runs fine. But it returns only 1 record. 

We do not see RuntimeData/ODBC in the bin folder. I've checked all other folders within Alteryx folder but I could not find RuntimeData folder.

FYI, we are able to connect to that DB via ODBC using other tools such as Tableau, Spotfire, Excel, etc. but it does not seem to work in Alteryx. 

What other troubleshooting steps do we need to take?

Thanks,

Anup

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@SophiaF 

I am also unable to find this documentation in the appdata as suggested above. I have 2019.2 has this changed in versions newer than 2018.4?

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Treyson I'm now seeing it in the bin directory of your alteryx install dir (mines in C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\ODBC\Customizable ODBC Driver Connections.pdf). Im not when changed, but ill update the article.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thank you @SophiaF !