Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Microsoft Access .accdb Input

DanC
Created

Question

How come I cannot find my .accdb Access database when I use an Input Data Tooland try to search for it?

Answer

In order to open Access databases with the .accdb extension, you will need to download the Microsoft2010 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components. Once you download and install, you will just need to close Alteryx if it is open and restart. You will then have 'Microsoft Access (.accdb)' as an option in the Input tool's File Browse drop down:

9-27-2016 2-17-03 PM.png

Comments
Lizzie
6 - Meteoroid

Do they have this for 2013? 

DanC

Hi @Lizzie. Sorry for the late reply. This should work for MS Access 2013 as well. Thank you!

Lizzie
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks!

DanC

Sure thing, @Lizzie!

todd_henry
6 - Meteoroid

We are having the same issue with Alteryx 10.1 and Office 2016.  We tried the Office 2016 Database Engine Redistributable and that didn't work.  Will this work for our setup?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@todd_henry I would download the 2010 Database Engine referenced in number 2 of this article. You will presumably want the 32-bit versions if you have a "normal" setup. 

Timmm
5 - Atom

Hi,

To preface, I just started using Alteryx in the afternoon yesterday - it's fairly intuitive and I think I have a workflow largely the way I want it (Salesforce joined to MS Access, with 3 additional Access tables joined across by position), however when I reference my Access file, I don't see an option for a query in Access I've made. So far I haven't seen any literature referring to this, so how do I reference my Access query, or do I need to write SQL through Alteryx to push it up?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Thorsty1
7 - Meteor

Thank you!

jkemerson
5 - Atom

Hi, This solution worked and I was able to see MS access files while on Office 2016 but my company recently upgraded to Office 365 and it no longer works. I can see in my programs list that the Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (english) is still installed. Is that expected? or should it still be working?

fbacellar
5 - Atom

Worked fine, Thanks!

veronicasimoes
9 - Comet

Thank you

Illya
8 - Asteroid
Thank you good stuff, this worked for a colleague who was having a problem connecting to accdb files. We checked versions and 64 bit vs 32 bit and were confused that locally installed Access could open the files with no problems. We installed the data connectivity components and it worked immediately. The dead giveaway for this is if you can't see accdb in the list of available file types in the input tool. If you can see it there then you probably have a different problem.
nrossin
8 - Asteroid

How would one work around this without Admin privileges on the computer?

KNguyen
7 - Meteor

I have version 19.4 x64 with Office 2016 64 Bit. Unable to install the 32 Bit Microsoft Access Database Engine due to not having Office 32 Bit. 

Any way to get *.aacdb to show up in Alteryx with the Microsoft Access Database Engine 64 Bit install? 

PSolomonCote
6 - Meteoroid

I installed the Microsoft Access Database Engine (32 first, then 64 also) and Alteryx is crashing everytime I try to open an .accdb file.

In fact, it makes Alteryx crash unexpectedly or sometimes it simply doesn't start.

Please advise.

Thanks

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@PSolomonCote 

Although it depends what version of Designer you are running, you might be able to use the 2013 version of the Microsoft driver.  Please look at the article How to Enable Microsoft Excel Binary, Excel Legacy, Access (accdb) for In/Out tools for more information.

PSolomonCote
6 - Meteoroid

@LisaL 

I think the crash were related to the problem mentionned at the header of the website later that day :

"Dear Valued Customer, We are currently experiencing an issue with Alteryx Designer where the application closes upon opening and/or running workflows. Our team believes it has identified the root cause and is working to remedy the situation. We are sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience. An e-mail will be sent once this issue is resolved. Alteryx Customer Support Team"

It just happened at the same time I installed the plugins...

It works now.

Thanks

Keilynbarrera
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I've reviewed the comment chain but still unable to find a solution to my issue. I have the drivers installed and am able to use similar Access database files to query. For some reason, I'm still returning 0 results from the path listed below despite running the same query in the Access database and returning many lines of information. Any idea how to fix?

Keilynbarrera_2-1634321007099.png

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Keilynbarrera 

If your configuration works for other tables, you probably need to examine the query or the configuration of the Dynamic Input tool.  Do you get results from a normal Input Data tool?

FionaHuxtable
5 - Atom

Hi there.

I'm looking to use an Access database as an input tool. The problem is that in Alteryx Version: 2021.3.4.00445, the only available Access driver is for Access 2003 which is an .mdb file format. I am using Office 365 and the file extension is .accdb. I assume I need to download the correct driver. Could you point me to the correct driver to download? I might need my IT to install it for me as I do not have Admin privileges on my work laptop.
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)