Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Installing two different versions of Alteryx on the same machine- with predictive tools.

ZTerry
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

How To:Installtwo different versions of Alteryx on the same machine- with predictive tools.

If you are looking to install two different versions of Alteryx on the same machine- you will first need administrator privilegeson your machine. This is due to the fact that in order to have two different versions of Alteryx installed on your machine one version will need to be an AdminVersionand the other will need to be the Non-AdminVersion. There is no order of operation if you're just installing the AlteryxDesigner.

If you are installing two different versions of Alteryx Designer andtheirrespective predictivetools- there is an order of operation. The first step is to download the Alteryx Designer executable and their respective predictive tools executable (there is no order of operation when downloading the executablesfrom the licensing portal) from here.

Order of Operation

1. Install the Admin Version of Alteryx Designer.

2. Install the Admin Version of Alteryx R/Predictive tools.

3. Install the Non-Admin Version of Alteryx Designer.

4. Install the Non-Admin Version of AlteryxR/Predictive tools.

Additional Resources

Comments
Nezrin
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

@SeanAdams the option we were exploring for testing ? Though getting hold of admin versions might not be very feasible 

RodLight
8 - Asteroid

@ZTerry ... a question...

Say I have 2019.4 installed (with predictive) as an Admin version (I need to do client work in that version). From what you are showing I can install 2020.2 (non-admin with predictive) on the same machine and can operate both of them. 

Now if I wanted to upgrade my 2019.4 admin version to 2020.1 admin version (clients have upgraded), do I need to uninstall my non-admin version first, then upgrade the admin version, and then reinstall the non-admin version?

Thanks,

Rod

ZTerry
Alteryx
Alteryx

@RodLight 

I hope all is well! You will not need to uninstall the non-admin version first. You can simply just upgrade your admin version, without uninstalling your non-admin version.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank You,

ZT

mbogusz
9 - Comet

@ZTerry  I have 2021.2 admin installed.  When I try to install the non-admin 2021.4 it tells me I need to un install the previous version.  Is that expected?  Can one only run admin + non-admin with the same version?  My hope was to install 2021.2 (our Server version) and 2021.4 (the newest version to test it out).

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@mbogusz 
You should be able to install the versions you describe.  When you look at your installed programs in Control Panel > Uninstall, do you only see Alteryx 2021.2 x64 and no version with (User) after it?  Are you certain you're installing with AlteryxNonAdminInstallx64_2021.4.1.04899.exe ?

If you've checked those things and you're still running into issues, because you have a paid license you can open a case with Support.

mbogusz
9 - Comet

@lepome Here is what I see in Control Panel > Uninstall

mbogusz_0-1644589369508.png

-2021.2 Admin is what I installed on 2/7

-AlteryxNonAdminInstallx64_2021.4.1.04899.exe is what I am trying to install for the second instance and it gives me the message that I have to uninstall first

mbogusz_1-1644590517895.png

Thanks for clearing up the "User" and making me feel more confident in the Uninstall/Reinstall.  I'm going to proceed with the Uninstallation.  Should be all set now.  Thanks for your help