Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Installation stopped on Python Dependency window

Loredana
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer
    • Version 2020.1+
  • Alteryx Server
    • Version 2020.1+
After launching Alteryx Server or Designer installer, the installation stops on the Python Dependency Window for a long time.

Cause

One of the python sub-proccess is stuck. Review the below to confirm:

1. Launch Alteryx installer.
  2. Allow the process to proceed with the installation.
  3. When reaching the Python Dependency window, let it run for a minimum of 25 minutes.
Note: This step takes between 16 and 25 minutes depending on the Resources allocated to the Server or Local Machine.

Resolution

This is a known issue that Alteryx is researching - follow the steps below for a workaround.

1. Open Task Manager and go to the Users Tab.

2. Expand the user that is installing the application and look for a python process (python.exe) with about 10 to 13 MB in memory but with 0% CPU committed to it.

3. Right click on the 0% CPU process and press End Task.
4. After this another python process normally shows up and the installer should proceed as normal.
Comments
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@Loredana  THANK YOU.  I run into this issue every upgrade cycle.  As a Mac user, this is alien and highly frustrating.  

sigmol89
5 - Atom

@Loredana Perfect solution.

Works like a charm. 

Rendra
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, this solution solved my issue.

Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

My experience was that the process that was taking up the most CPU whilst the installer was "hung" was anti-virus. We assumed that the Python install was deploying a large number of small files that was causing AV to choke.

Interesting to see that in your case there is no obvious AV issue.

JirkaD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I got a similar issue when trying to install AlteryxServerInstallx64_2020.3.4.30228.exe. The same screen but no pending Python processes. Nothing suspicious with AV activity either. Average CPU utilization below 10%.  Tried two times in a row with a reboot in between, let it work for 90 mins+ but no visual progress.

***UPDATE***

The issue was solved by selecting another subversion of the installation file for 2020.3, specifically AlteryxServerInstallx64_2020.3.9.30296.exe. After that everything went smoothly.

VijayAnaparthi
8 - Asteroid

Thank you. This will solved my problem.

ELKSABER
5 - Atom

I am trying to install AlteryxNonAdminInstallx64_2023.1.1.123 on my Windows 11 (64-bit operating system, x64-based processor)

every time the installation got stuck in the step of installing Python dependencies.

I tried to keep it running overnight and after 12 hours it was still running but never finished the installation.

I tried to End the task (for Python) through task manager but couldn't find it.

I tried to install Python first and thought it might help, but the issue remains the same.

ELKSABER_0-1684603925825.png