Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.
There's still time to register for the Q3 ACE Panel - Spatial Edition presentation tomorrow! | Need more information about the event? Check out the post here

How to install two versions of Designer on the same machine

Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

How to install two versions of Designer on the same machine

Is it possible to have multiple versions of Designer on one machine?

It is possible to have two installations of Designer installed on the same machine concurrently. This can be useful if you need to build workflows on multiple versions (for example, if your co-workers are on a previous version), to test out new features in more recent versions, or for troubleshooting purposes.

Prerequisites

• Alteryx Designer
    • All versions
  • Windows Operating System

Procedure

It's possible to have one Admin version and one Non-Admin version of Designer installed on the same machine simultaneously. To install another version of Designer, follow these steps.

1. Check if you are running the Admin or Non-Admin version of Designer by going to Help > About
Non-AdminAdmin
nonadmin_designer.pngadmin_designer.png

2. Proceed with the installation of the other option by downloading either Admin or Non-Admin Designer from the Alteryx License Portal.

idea Skyscrapers

How to install two different versions of Alteryx Designer on the same machine with predictive tools (Order of Operations)

If installing two different versions of Alteryx Designer and their respective predictive tools, there is an order of operations to follow:

1. Install the Admin Version of Alteryx Designer.

2. Install the Admin Version of Alteryx R/Predictive tools.

3. Install the Non-Admin Version of Alteryx Designer.

4. Install the Non-Admin Version of Alteryx R/Predictive tools.

Common Issues

Spoiler (Highlight to read)
I installed a Non-Admin version and have lost the ability to schedule a workflow, or see my scheduled jobs

The Admin version of Alteryx must be installed to use the Scheduler with Desktop + Scheduler.
I installed a Non-Admin version and have lost the ability to schedule a workflow, or see my scheduled jobs. You must have the Admin version of Alteryx installed to use the Scheduler with Desktop + Scheduler.

Additional Information

• Both installations will use the same license.

• It is possible to run both versions at the same time. Just keep in mind that both versions of Designer will be competing for the same resources, so it is not recommended to run heavy workflows on both instances of Designer at the same time.

• Starting on Alteryx Server 11.5 and higher, there is an ability to open workflows created in newer versions of Designer. When doing so a warning prompt occurs advising that the workflow was created in a newer version of Designer and asking if to proceed. Selecting "Yes" will open the workflow, but if it uses features/tools not present in the version being used, it will be disabled or show up as "?" tools. This will help identify if some adjustments to fix the workflow is needed so it's compatible.

Additional Resources