community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More

How To: Send Emails Through Gmail Using the Alteryx Email Tool

Alteryx
Alteryx
Created on

The Email tool is one of the critical last steps in putting that status report on cruise control.  As of 2019.3, you can send those reports out through any SMTP server that requires credentials, with Gmail being one of the most popular.  To ensure you can connect to your Gmail account, we want to provide you with a step-by-step guide to be successful. 

Note: G-Suite, the paid version of Gmail, is not currently working with the Email tool.

Prerequisites

• Alteryx Designer Version 2019.3
  • Gmail

Procedure

Once you drop the Email tool onto the canvas you will be able to configure it.  Let’s dissect that configuration below:

email1.png

1. SMTP
    • For Gmail, connect to smtp.gmail.com on port 465, if you're using SSL. Connect on port 587 if you're using TLS. Another example would be Yahoo - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  2. Encryption method (if required)
    • It is HIGHLY likely you will need to complete this step with SSL/TLS being the most widely used.
  3. Username and Password
    • Username can include or not include the @domain part of email address
  4. Configure the tool as usual by adding recipients of your analysis, a subject, etc. If you want more detail on configuring this tool please see this article.
  5. You might need to go to your email account to configure some additional settings as security is an imperative for every company and your SMTP email provider likely has some guardrails against letting other applications send an email through their server. Gmail, for example, requires you to change your account settings but you can do this easily using this link, or go to myaccount.google.com/security and scroll down to the option: “Less secure app access”.
    • Turn on “Less secure app access” (see below screenshots).  Go back to Alteryx and send a test email to ensure it works.  Then, kick your feet up and put those reports on cruise control. 

google1.png

google2.png

Additional Resources

And of course, if you need additional help, please visit our help documentation, reach out to a customer support representative, or start a conversation with a peer through Community. I found the information about Gmail SMTP server at this Google support thread: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600.

Comments
Meteoroid

Hi, 

Thanks for the detailed example. 

I still receive an error: " Email (2) Record#1: Login denied." Can you help with this?

Alteryx
Alteryx
@ztahir004 , I would reach out to Customer Support, they are best to help with this issue.
Meteor

Hi @APolly  - thank you for the helpful write-up on using the email tool with Gmail.

I'm on Alteryx version 2019.3 and I'm using the email batch macro developed by @Claje to send multiple emails to various recipients through Gmail.

The good news is that I've been able to configure the macro to send out emails! I've previously tested it with other files

But unfortunately, the recipients of my emails have attachments that are broken/unusable - see below.

When I open the same files before sending them, or when I send them via normal Gmail process (in individual emails), these files are all good.

How do I go about troubleshooting this? Is this a problem with the macro, the email tool, or something else?

Thank you for your insights.

1) The pdf files I'm sending have all useful content missing. When I open the files, I receive several error messages as follows.

Pdf file Error_combined.PNG

2) The excel file I'm sending won't open and has the following errors:

Excel file error_combined.PNG

Alteryx
Alteryx
@ekarmanov Thanks for raising this issue, I was unaware. The fastest way to have the problem reviewed is to reach out to customer support. But now that I am aware, I will try to find time to investigate, though this can be less reliable than reaching out to support.
Meteor

Hi @APolly - I contacted customer support and have a ticket open (Case #00308391) for this issue in case you're able to follow on your end.

Thanks,

Eugene

Meteor

A quick update on what Alteryx Support have come back with:

"It seems the issue is in the actual workflow. Unfortunately, Alteryx Support deals with actual product issues, but it is unfortunately, outside our scope to build or troubleshoot custom workflows. As such I would recommend to reach out to @Claje  (an Alteryx ACE)."

cc @APolly 

Meteoroid

Hi Can alteryx send emails using secure voltage emails?

Hi @ekarmanov,

We have been able to reproduce the issue and a product defect has been logged.

Currently, we have no ETA for a release of a fix to share. However, in the meantime feel free to use the following workaround. Instead of using a hard coded free text for the body, use the "Use Field" option for the body.

Thanks.