This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
on 03-31-201603:27 PM - edited on 07-31-201903:54 AM by SophiaF
How To: Create an Alteryx In-DB Connection File
As users collaborate, the sharing of workflows that connect to databases can be helpful. The In-DB Connection File type allows for this. A database connection is saved as an .indbc file so it can be packaged with a workflow.
1. In Designer, navigate to Options > Advanced Options > Alias Manager > In-DB Connections
2. Select the Data Source from the dropdown (1). For our example we will select Oracle, then pick File for the connection type (2), Click the elipses (...) button to navigate to a folder where the .indbc file will be stored.
Please note that the first time you set up a connection file, you will need to name the file and click Open to create the file (4) then provide a name for this file (3).
Then proceed to set up your connection as you would normally do by selecting the appropriate driver and setting up the connection string for Read & Write.
3. Now that your connection file is created, the next step is to connect to your database using this file. Bring a Connect In-DB Tool onto your canvas, click on the dropdown for the Connection name and select Open File Connection and browse to your file
4. You can then select a Table, use the Visual Query builder, or type in SQL directly in the Choose Table or Specific Query window
5. (Optional) If you would like to share this workflow, package your workflow in Designer by going to Options > Export workflow. Notice that the .indbc file is being packaged with the workflow.
At the receiving end, the database drivers/client, data sources for that database should be installed and set up. The .indbc file looks like below, with the password encrypted.
Note: Workflow and all images created in this article are from Alteryx version 2019.2