Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Google BigQuery Tools

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Google BigQuery ToolsBQ.png

You can download the BigQuery Connector Tools here.

There are two ways to log into the Google BigQuery Connector.

1. Service to Service:
    1. Service-to-service authentication requires a Google Service Account File, also known as a service account JSON key file. You can obtain a service account JSON key file from theGoogle Cloud Consoleor you can create a new key for an existing service account. More information about Google BigQuery can be found on theGoogle Big Query Documentationsite underCreating and Managing Service Account Keys.
  2. End User:
    1. InAuthentication mode, selectEnd user.
    2. Enter yourClient ID andClient Secret.
    3. ClickLog in.
    4. InSign in with Google, enter your Google email and password then clickAllow to approve the connector's permission to access Google BigQuery on your behalf.
    5. ClickNext.

After connecting, select the table you want to read from. You can also refresh the metadata by clicking on the refresh icon.

The next thing to look at is the 5 options:

1. Limit the number of results returned
    • This is similar to the TOP or LIMIT clause used to limit how many records are returned
  2. Use a custom query
    • Offers more flexibility in selecting input data from BigQuery, however using a custom query disables the ability to “infer max repeated record limit” and to “limit the number of results returned”
    • User can use either Standard or Legacy SQL dialect
    • User must also select a project to query
    • Only Repeated record limit and max field limit are allowed
  3. Infer max repeated record limit
    • This will bring in the nested and repeated fieldsInside BigQuery TableInside BigQuery Table

Returned nested rows inside AlteryxReturned nested rows inside Alteryx

1. Repeated record limit
    • Use this if you do not want the max repeated record limit
  2. Max field length
    • Use this to select the data size coming in

Google Big Query Output Tool

1. Similarly to the Google BigQuery Input tool, there are two ways to log in – Service to Service and End User. Please look above to see which authentication mode is right for you.
  2. Select the table you want to write you. You need an existing table to write to.
  3. Insert Batch Size
    • This determines the number of rows inserted into the BigQuery per API request.

Basic Troubleshooting Steps

Permissions Error Messages

• 403 Invalid Permissions
    • Users will see 403 Invalid Permissions errors when attempting to write to a table for which they do not have update permissions
  • No Projects Available. Check your credentials and permissions.
    • This error is displayed when a user authenticates to Google but has no permissions for any BigQuery project

Limitations

Known Limitations for the Google BigQuery Tools can be found here.

Outputting data from your designer workflow to Google BigQuery streams new rows to the table in BigQuery. Data will be held in a temporary streaming buffer for up to 90 minutes while processes in Google BigQuery convert the row-based data to columnar-based storage. In most cases, the data in the streaming buffer is still available for querying within seconds. However, you will not be able to see the inserted data in the Preview tab of the Google BigQuery console for the table until the extraction processes are complete. You can learn more about the streaming buffer in thisGoogle Blog Post. More information about the availability of streamed data can be found on theGoogle BigQuery Documentationsite.

Comments
marniedc
5 - Atom

Hi DiganP,

I can't seem to download the bigquery tool from the link: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Google-BigQuery-Tools/5b1f092a8a93372a64c28c09

I get an error message "Problem Loading App". Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

Marnie

Alteryx_BigQuery.JPG

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@marniedc Can you try deleting your cache from your browser? Did you also try multiple browsers (IE, Chrome)? It seems to work fine for me. 

FabianS_dup_107
7 - Meteor

Hey!

@DiganP I just updated to the new tool version (1.0.3) and I get the following error:

Error: Google BigQuery Input (1): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_input_v1.0.3\big_query_input\engine.py", line 177, in pi_init
self.alteryx_engine.create_connect_metadata(self.n_tool_id, metadata_dict)
AttributeError: 'AlteryxEngine' object has no attribute 'create_connect_metadata'

I didn't have any problems with connecting with the old version of the tool but now I have no clue what happens..... :(

FabianS_dup_107
7 - Meteor

I'm now also having problems with tables that have 'numeric' fields... (using version 1.0.0, since I am still not able to work with the newest tool version) I have to use custom sql and cast the numeric fields as strings. An clue if there is going to be an update to include this?

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@FabianS_dup_107 When you install the tool, please run Designer as admin (right click > run as admin) and then install the tool. Try this in the newer version and let me know of the results with 'numeric' fields. 

FabianS_dup_107
7 - Meteor

@DiganP I upgraded to Alteryx Designer 2018.3 and everything is working fine with the 1.0.3 version of the tool (so to me it seems that it is incompatible with 2018.2).

Now the new tool is working fine, but when I try to select a numeric field it gives me "Google BigQuery Input (1) There was an unexpected error." If I do cast(_numeric field_ as string) then everything works perfect, except that only custom queries work....

Is this something that is not yet included??, because I understood that the numeric field is quite a new feature in Bigquery.

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I'm facing errors using the GBQ Output tool.  Is there a direct contact I can use to help ?

Basically I don't know what's wrong (first time using this tool), so I'm not sure if the problem is the field order, incompatible data types, etc..

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Maybe a simple problem but when Alteryx tries to write an Int16 field to a GBQ integer field it fails.  If you change the Alteryx field to Int64 it works perfectly.

Phyllis
7 - Meteor

@DiganP I'm having a similar error to @FabianS_dup_107. Were you able to identify the issue, I'm not sure what the error means or how to fix it:

Error: Google BigQuery Output (2): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\big_query_output\connections.py", line 85, in ii_push_record
self.parent.display_error_msg(errors)
File "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\connectors_core\alteryx\interfaces.py", line 150, in display_error_msg
self.alteryx_engine.output_message(self.n_tool_id, Sdk.EngineMessageType.error, msg_string)
Boost.Python.ArgumentError: Python argument types in
AlteryxEngine.output_message(AlteryxEngine, int, EngineMessageType, list)
did not match C++ signature:
output_message(class SRC::Python::AlteryxEngine {lvalue}, int tool_id, int status, char const * __ptr64 message)

Thanks!

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Did you check that the datatypes in Alteryx match the datatypes in the GBQ table ?

What datatypes are you using in GBQ ? (some can be tricky to align in Alteryx)

M_AUS
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

Running Alteryx as ADMIN fixed my  issues.

PatrickSullivan
5 - Atom

@DiganP 

I am running into an error when I try to install the connector.  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks2019-06-14_16-22-07.png.

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
PatrickSullivan
5 - Atom

@PaulN 

That looks like it worked.  Thanks for the help!

Jason-Mainline
5 - Atom

Hey,

Really hoping someone can help with the below error (I'm fairly new to Alteryx).

The below error code generates when I try to go from Alteryx to Google BigQuery Output (using this connector). I've set up the new table scheme in BigQuery the same as Alteryx, and tried to match up the data types as close as possible, but the below error code doesn't give me much to work on.

Error: Google BigQuery Output (2): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\\mainline2016dc\Redirect$\jason.abbott\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\big_query_output\connections.py", line 74, in ii_push_record
row = self.schema_writer.build_row_from_record(in_record, self.parent.alteryx_engine)
File "\\mainline2016dc\Redirect$\jason.abbott\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\connectors_core\bigquery\schemas.py", line 151, in build_row_from_record
field_val = alteryx_helpers.get_value_for_field(field, record_ref)
File "\\mainline2016dc\Redirect$\jason.abbott\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\connectors_core\alteryx\helpers.py", line 39, in get_value_for_field
return accessor(record_ref)
File "\\mainline2016dc\Redirect$\jason.abbott\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\connectors_core\alteryx\helpers.py", line 32, in <lambda>
Sdk.FieldType.date: lambda ref: datetime.datetime.strptime(field.get_as_string(ref), DATE_FORMAT),
TypeError: strptime() argument 1 must be str, not None

Hoping this is a simple one and just me being new!

Thanks for any help

M_AUS
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jason , 

I had the same issue at the start, I will try an narrow down how I got it working by asking the below:

which version Alteryx are you running?

Are all your python  libraries up too date?

-Inside the big query connector zip file, there is a requirements text file.  Do you have all those installed?

Have you added the path of Python to your environment?

Which version python are you using?

Regrads

Jason-Mainline
5 - Atom

Hey,

Apologies I'm definitely a noob in this regard.

Alteryx Version - 2019.2.5.62427

In terms of installation, it was a case of just running the base file that downloaded from the Alteryx Gallery, nothing specific selected when installing so it should have installed all included (took around 20 minutes).

How would I go about finding the python related information? As in terms of this, I haven't wrote any python myself when setting this up.

Is potentially my issue how I am trying to link the two? At present, it goes from a Calgary Input (loading my dataset into a Calgary Loader to boost the speed) to the Google BigQuery Output - is it potentially that I need something inbetween the two?

Thanks

Jason-Mainline
5 - Atom

Hi all,

Good news - I've managed to get the upload link working...

Bad news - the data duplicates for each time I refresh the workflow (e.g. my end workflow of data is just over 400k, I've ran the workflow twice today - around an hour each time - and now Big Query is saying over 800k records).

How is this fixed? Obviously just reuploading 400k records a time is not efficient, nor is it when it then just adds them all on the existing table, rather than just adding new rows.

Help - there seems to be no configuration around this.

Jason

juliahn
5 - Atom

Thanks for developing the connector. Is there a way to specify whether I can 'append' instead of 'replace' the data exported to bigquery?

cliffjordan
8 - Asteroid

Folks, 

I am trying to do a query via BigQuery connector and this is the error message I get....

Error: Google BigQuery Input (1): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 4, in <module>
File "C:\Users\MainUser\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_input_v1.0.3\big_query_input\__init__.py", line 1, in
from .engine import BigQueryInputEngine
File "C:\Users\MainUser\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_input_v1.0.3\big_query_input\engine.py", line 5, in
from connectors_core.bigquery import BigQuerySchemaReader
File "C:\Users\MainUser\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_input_v1.0.3\connectors_core\bigquery\__init__.py", line 1, in
from .schemas import BigQuerySchemaReader
File "C:\Users\MainUser\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_input_v1.0.3\connectors_core\bigquery\schemas.py", line 4, in
import google.cloud.bigquery
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'google'

Any idea what is wrong?

-cliff

Ashwini_Bende
5 - Atom

This is the first time I am connecting to Google BigQuery Input through Alteryx. I used service to service authentication mode and was able to establish the connection and see list available table. When I select any table or use a custom query, I am keep getting "There was an unexpected error". I do not see any additional details around that error. I am using version 2019.4. 

Am I missing something? Why am I keep getting this error? Is there a different approach to use BigQuery tables in Alteryx.

GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

HI 

Also hitting the same error:

Error: Google BigQuery Output (252): Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\big_query_output\connections.py", line 74, in ii_push_record
    row = self.schema_writer.build_row_from_record(in_record, self.parent.alteryx_engine)
  File "C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\connectors_core\bigquery\schemas.py", line 151, in build_row_from_record
    field_val = alteryx_helpers.get_value_for_field(field, record_ref)
  File "C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\connectors_core\alteryx\helpers.py", line 39, in get_value_for_field
    return accessor(record_ref)
  File "C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\../Tools\big_query_output_v1.0.3\connectors_core\alteryx\helpers.py", line 32, in <lambda>
    Sdk.FieldType.date: lambda ref: datetime.datetime.strptime(field.get_as_string(ref), DATE_FORMAT),
TypeError: strptime() argument 1 must be str, not None

Diagnosed this to the Big Query Output tool not liking Date fields. Change these to string and it solves the issue. 

Also, in case you were not aware, the table has to be pre-defined, including the schema, which you can do via console. 

Update: 

Ok, so after getting over my initial moan, and a bit of reading later, i have some further insight. 

Part of the limitation is that the tool is using the stream data option using the insertALL call, suitable if you where streaming event data, but not quite sure this is the best route for a connector into bigquery. 

Interestingly (and i need to delve into this a bit more...) it appears that the only other option is drop json files or other into some location then call a job to load these in.

more reading required, but i'll drop a post on my findings and keep updated as i go along. 

humpf... shame, but such is life...  

kr

Gavin

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi guys,

I believe the Big Query connector is going through an update/fix at the moment. It is currently in Beta at the moment. You can sign up for beta and try the connector here!

SabrinaCB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Ashwini_Bende The situation and error you are specifically describing sometimes occurs in proxy server environments (PAC or manual). We do have a fix for this, please do not hesitate to reach out to Alteryx support with questions. You may even mention this post for assistance, we are always happy to help. And @DiganP is correct! We will be releasing a new version of the BigQuery tool later this month that includes several important fixes and enhancements.

Thanks and have a great week,

Sabrina 

Sr Customer Support Engineer - Connectors SME

GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

@SabrinaCB @DiganP  - Awesome Thanks for the update. I'll sign up for the beta. 

kr

ChristopherB
5 - Atom

I'm hoping someone can help with an issue we are having using the BigQuery connector.  We are able to access BigQuery with the tool, but get the:

"Error: Google BigQuery Input (1): Schema exception: Field customDimensions has repeated record data type, which is not supported in Alteryx"

I know there have been some threads on flattening the records with a custom query, but I thought I also read on a link in a post on this site that version 2.0 of the tool solves for that?  Any help you can render is appreciated as this has us stalled.

Thank you,

ChristopherB
5 - Atom

Here is a link to the other thread regarding a solution:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Enable-complex-queries-for-Google-Big-Query/...

Thank you,

maneey81
5 - Atom

team 

i followed steps given in following link 

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Google-BigQuery-Tools/5b1f092a8a93372a64c28c09

downloaded Google BigQuery Tools v2.0.1 (June 9, 2020) to my machine 

During installation getting following  message for big_query_input and big_query_output

"no matching distribution found for azure-common==1.1.14(from -r requirements.txt[line1])

Alteryx designer version : 2019.4.8.22007

any help will be much appreciated 

M_AUS
6 - Meteoroid

Hi 

Do you have it installed?

In Alteryx use the Python connector and type

!pip list

Then hit run

That will show you a list of python libraries isntalled.

Pip List.JPG

If its not there type

!pip install Azure-common

Then Run

Good Luck 😀

armakharin
5 - Atom

I need to use Google BigQuery Input. I logged in by my service account successfully but I found an error "You have found a bug . Replicate, then let us know. We shall fix it soon." before and after run a workflow. I don't know why because it doesn't tell me any reason.

Alteryx Designer Version: 2020.4.5.12471

Google BigQuery Tools v2.0.1

armakharin_1-1607054851241.png

SabrinaCB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @armakharin We are sorry you are running into that. Could you please try re-installing the Connector with fresh install? (remove existing tool folder and then reinstall BigQuery Connector YXI, should be exact version number/location so workflows are not affected) It would probably be best if you could contact Alteryx Support and we would be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Sabrina

ozawa
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

I would like to use this tool to retrieve data from BigQuery located in a location other than the US or EU.

According to the API specifications, it is mandatory to specify when using other locations. Is there a way to set it from the tool?

d13g0_86
7 - Meteor

d13g0_86
7 - Meteor

@ozawa  , @SabrinaCB , @armakharin , @M_AUS , @DiganP 

OTHER SOLUTION 

I installed the official obdc driver Driver OBDC from goolge and for me it worked very well on alteryx just by pointing the connect tool in the database to the driver, the only problem I had was to write a new table inside Bigquery, I believe that if a template is created for bigquery where the SQL command "create" does not determine the type of data Alteryx can solve this problem too