Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

FAQs: Alteryx Connectors Deprecation

vijayakarthikeyan
Created

FAQs: Alteryx Connectors Deprecation

This article discusses about the Alteryx Connectors deprecation, for initial set of connectors, and clarifies the questions around the Connectors deprecation across each version.

What does Connectors Deprecation mean?

Connectors Deprecation does not mean that we are removing the connectors and thus all the existing workflows will stop working. The deprecation means:

• These connectors are no longer supported. If there’s a defect found in any of the deprecated connectors, there won’t be any fix for it, since for all of them there is a replacement connector with more enhanced features, and we strongly recommend the usage of the replacement connectors.

• The connectors that are shipped with Designer are no longer visible on the tools palette (though they can be manually enabled as described below) or in the Single Access Point (the menu that opens for Input and Output tool). But existing instances of the tools will still work.

• The connectors that are distributed via Community will be marked as Deprecated in the corresponding Community links.

Why is Alteryx deprecating a set of Connectors?

A set of existing Alteryx Connectors uses older technology that limits extension opportunities. Alteryx has built a new set of connectors, to replace the existing ones, and so the older connectors would be deprecated.

Which Alteryx Connectors are deprecated?

Connector/Datasource name

Type

Version from which it is deprecated

Deprecated by?

Publish to Tableau Server

Connector

Alteryx

Sharepoint List I/O Tools

Connector

Alteryx

Dynamic CRM

Connector

Alteryx

Google Sheets

Connector

Alteryx

Salesforce Einstein*

Connector

Alteryx

Salesforce Wave*

Connector

Alteryx

Google BigQuery

Connector

Alteryx

Mongo I/O Tools

Connector

Alteryx

Maria DB*

Datasource

Alteryx

Google Analytics - version 8.0 (Universal Analytics API)***         

Connector

Google

Microsoft Access - 2013 ***

Datasource

Microsoft

* No new connectors/datasource options will be released for these deprecated connectors/datasources
*** These two are exceptions because of the below changes from the external datasources:

When is the Connectors deprecation happening?

This is starting from Alteryx Server - 22.3 - and continues for upcoming releases(currently 23.1), based on the technology used in each connector/data source.

What would happen to my existing workflows which are using the deprecated connectors after the upgrade?

The deprecated connectors are not removed completely, so those workflows that use them should still work after the upgrade to the deprecated version. However, there are few exceptions as below:

• Google Sheets connectors in older versions prior to 22.3 should be replaced by Google Drive connectors from 2022.3

• Google Analytics 4 connector is not backward compatible prior to version 21.4, and recommended to replace their older version of GA connector with the GA4, as Google would be deprecating their Universal Analytics API by July, 2023(tentative). The GA3 based connector(v8.0) will stop working once Google shuts down Universal Analytics. After this timeline, please install the Google Analytics 4 connector to ensure the connector works.

These deprecated connectors are not visible in my Alteryx Designer, for newer workflows. How do I add them?

The deprecated connectors can be added by clicking on the Tool palette, and right click to choose "Show Deprecated Tools". This will populate those deprecated connectors under "Connectors" tab(provided the connectors are properly installed)

Can I still use these deprecated connectors in my workflow?

Although this is not highly recommended by Alteryx, these connectors are still available on "Show Deprecated Tools" option. Please use the newest connectors to replace the deprecated connectors, as the newer ones have a lot of enhancements and features added to it.

What are the newer connectors replacing the Deprecated Connectors?

image.pngimage.png

Will there be any Connectors deprecation happening in the future?

Yes, the above set is the initial deprecated set of connectors, and we highly recommend to use the newer version of any Connector(DCM enabled) on the supported Alteryx version, as we strive to improve the features of each connector with the latest technologies.

Comments
levell_x_dunn
10 - Fireball

So Alteryx can't publish directly to Tableau anymore?

Are you losing the partnership?

KenL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @levell_x_dunn ,

Like most deprecated Connector tools, the Publish to Tableau Server tool remains available in Alteryx and can still be used in existing workflows. However, there would not be any future developments on the tool. You can use our newer Tableau Output tool in place of the Publish to Tableau Server tool.

Thanks,

Ken

RAMYABG6
5 - Atom

Alteryx cannot publish to einstein analytics anymore and there is no new connector replacing it as well. So how to publish data to salesforce einstein analytics moving forward?