Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error: "The current page layout has caused some data to be incorrectly truncated and the Excel file to be corrupted. We recommend modifying how the data is laid out." warning is displayed when Exporting Data to Excel using Render tool

clarab
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Error: "The current page layout has caused some data to be incorrectly truncated and the Excel file to be corrupted. We recommend modifying how the data is laid out."

Environment Details

Exporting a report to an Excel file using the Render tool causes the following warning to be displayed. After this, the data exported to the Excel file is truncated and may be corrupted as well.

The current page layout has caused some data to be incorrectly truncated and the Excel file to be corrupted. We recommend modifying how the data is laid out.

image.pngimage.png 

Occasionally, you may receive the following error when opening the Excel file.

We found a problem with some content in <EXCEL_NAME.xlsx>. Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes.

image.pngimage.png

• Alteryx Designer
    • Version(s): All
  • Render tool

Cause

This happens when the size of the data layout is greater than the default layout in the Report Style section of the Render tool can accommodate.

Default Size:

image.pngimage.png

Resolution

Change the Paper Size property to "Custom Size" and extend the size (length and width) until the data is no longer truncated. 

image.pngimage.png

Additional Resources

Comments
lisama
5 - Atom

Hi Alex,

Thank you so much, it works.

Bests,

Lisa

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I am so very glad that we made that warning helpful!

gkumar
5 - Atom

I had the same issue and this article helped me overcome/workaround the warning.  However, I think this is a workaround and not a direct solution to the problem of exporting to Excel.

If all you are trying to do is to output your work to Excel with formatting (e.g. alignment, color etc) we really dont care about a specific paper size - we just want all the data with "Automatic" to show up in the Excel file.

Can you explain how that can be accomplished?  Should I create a separate support ticket?  Is the render tool not the right way to export data to excel along with color, style and other formatting of the data?