Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error opening file: Unexpected end of file has occurred

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

The day will come. You are on a deadline, you need some data, and it happens: you cannot open your workflow.

error message.JPG

What now? Your file has been corrupted somehow, and you need to restore it asap to meet your deadline. Don't fret! Here are two options:

Check your Autosaved files! It's possible you have a nearly complete version saved from the last time you worked on this module: File > Open Workflow > Open Autosaved Files (there's even a timestamp!)

autosaved.JPG

Your second option is a great example of what the .bak files are for (in case you were ever wondering). First, check to see if your .yxmd was indeed corrupted. Right click your corrupted .yxmd in a windows explorer, and open with Notepad (or Notepad++ or a similar program).

At the end of every correct Alteryx workflow will be the tag

AlteryxDocument.JPG

If your module is corrupted, it could end with anything – but the error message will tell you exactly where your file was truncated. If you do not see that tag, here's what to do: right-click the .bak file associated with your workflow, and simply rename the extension to .yxmd

Now, go meet that deadline! Save early, save often, and Happy Alteryx-ing!

Comments
Rvandeve
5 - Atom

This was incredibly helpful! I panicked when Alteryx crashed and I wasn't able to open my workflow. I simply found the autosaved file and restored the file. Crisis averted! Thank you!

Melissa
5 - Atom

Thank you! I've spent months perfecting my workflow and I got this error this morning. So thankful for this community, I didn't even have to panic because a quick search solved the issue.

laurennewton
8 - Asteroid
Hello I am currently running into this issue but I have no .bak file and its not in my autosaved...
YY2017
5 - Atom

life saver!!! very clear, systematic and detailed explanation 

peterr_h
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Does anyone know where .bak files tend to nest themselves? I can find the output .bak files but none associated with the workflow as a whole, even after running a search of my entire C: drive!

TIA