Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error: Win32 Exception when connecting to a Database

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Environment Details

User is getting a Win32 Exception in the Input tool when trying to connect to a database. 
Get Table List Error: Win32 Exception

• Alteryx Designer
    • All versions
  • An Input or Connect In-DB tool connected to a Database

Cause

This is an exception thrown by Windows
The user does not have the right permissions.

Resolution

The user should reach out internally to their IT department and/or the DB Admin and make sure they have proper permissions to the database and tables they are trying to connect to.

Comments
Katie_K
8 - Asteroid

Hi @HenrietteH - would you have any other suggestions on where to start with this particular issue?  I am getting this exact error when trying to connect to data via Databricks.  I have no problem connecting directly via Tableau or directly in Databricks, which is what makes me think that it couldn't be a permissions issue.  I even get the 'Succes!' message when I test the connection from the ODBC Admin window.  The machine I am using is new, so would that help you or anyone else here on the forum think of what I could check next?  Appreciate any guidance.

praveenskumar
7 - Meteor

Hi @Katie_K, I'm also facing the same issue you mentioned above, did you get any resolution for the same? Thanks :)

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@praveenskumar @Katie_K 
Especially if you have a proxy in place but even under other security protocols, it's possible that when you connect from those other locations the authentication is routed differently.  What did your IT and DBA folks say when you asked them?

praveenskumar
7 - Meteor

Hi @lepome,

Thanks for checking, I've talked to my team regarding the error and they informed me that they whitelisted the server and all but the issue still exists. There is no proxy in place so I'm not sure what else I should look for.

FYI,

praveenskumar_0-1654497905150.png

HTTP Options: relevant info added from Databricks

SSL Options: relevant info added from Databricks

praveenskumar_1-1654498043524.png

Error Message:

praveenskumar_2-1654498199570.png

Thanks

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@praveenskumar 
If you have a paid license, you can open a Support case.  If you are evaluating the product for purchase, you can contact your sales rep for assistance.  If neither of the above describes your situation, then you will likely need to do some research on your own.

Suskil
Alteryx
Alteryx

For Databricks connections, try un-checking the DSN Advanced Option 'Get Tables with Query' from ODBC Data Source Administrator.

GetTablesWithQuery.png