Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error: Failed to get username: Unspecified GSS failure: Minor code may provide more information

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer
    • all versions
  • Simba Hive ODBC Driver with DSN configured
  • Hadoop uses Kerberos authentication

User is attempting to connect to Hadoop Hive with Kerberos in Alteryx and getting an error: 
[Simba][Support] (50363): Failed to get username: Routine Error:
Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information
Mechanism Info:
Unknown code 0
Major: 851968 Minor: 100001 

or

[Simba][Support] (50361): Integrated security failed to acquire local credentials: Routine Error:
Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information
Mechanism Info:
Unknown code 0
Major: 851968 Minor: 100004 

The test button in the ODBC DSN is successful. 

Cause

Alteryx cannot find the username, so the login fails.

Resolution

If the user is using Active Directory Kerberos (Kerberos SSPI): 

Solution A: Check "Use only SSPI" in the DSN

1. Go to the Windows ODBC Data Source Administrator 
  2. Find the ODBC DSN (Data Source Name) being used in Alteryx
  3. Double click the DSN to open it for editing 
  4. Go to "Advanced Options..." 
  5. Check the "Use only SSPI" checkbox
  6. Restart Alteryx and try connecting again
  7. In some cases this may still not be sufficient for Alteryx to be able to find the Username. In that case proceed to Solution B
idea Skyscrapers

Solution B: Check "Use only SSPI" in the Driver Config

1. Confirm the driver version is 2.6.8. It may need to be upgraded. Reach out to customer support if you need help acquiring an installer for the correct version. 
  2. Browse to the /lib folder in the install directory (typically, this is: C:\Program Files\Simba Hive ODBC Driver\lib)
  3. Double click on the DriverConfiguration64.exe file to open the driver configuration editor
    Note: this edits global settings for all DSNs that use this driver
  4. Go to "Advanced Options..."
  5. Check the "Use only SSPI" checkbox
  6. Restart Alteryx and try connecting again
  7. You may have to restart the machine to make sure the edits are applied 

idea Skyscrapers

If the user is using MIT Kerberos: 

Solution C: Set environmental variables

Note: This might require assistance from IT and/or the Hive admin. 
  1. Open the System Environmental Variables: 
    1. Open the Windows System Properties window
    2. Go to the Advanced Tab and select Environmental Variables
  2. In the System variables, create two new variables/confirm these variables are pointing at the correct location: 
    1. KRB5_CONFIG: point this to the location of the main Kerberos configuration file
    2. KRB5CCNAME: default name for the credentials cache file
  3. Reboot the machine to make sure the variables are applied
For more information on the variables, please see the MIT Kerberos documentation on environmental variables

Comments
Ken_Black
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi Henriette, 

I recently upgraded Alteryx to 2021.3.3.63061. When I tried to run several workflows that I have been using for years, I experienced the "Unspecified GSS failure error", which indicated the user name wasn't being found.

I know from my history that this type of newly emerging problem means that I'm going to be headed to the land of trial and error testing to get the drivers to work correctly. I typically expect hours to pass before finding a solution.

Luckily for me, you had written this article. Although Solution A didn't work, Solution B did work! My solution took about 2 minutes.

Thanks to you, I'm once again crusing along the Alteryx superhighway. 

Thanks for saving my day!

Ken

mgrajkumar
7 - Meteor

@HenrietteH Thanks Option B works.

The issue now is that the fields names are appended with database name and Table names. 

Also _view schemas no longer visible in query builder. I have reported these 2 issues 1 year before to Alteryx. I don't think this has been fixed until now. 

mgrajkumar_0-1647447099453.png

This is my 5th year since i have raised kerberos issues with Alteryx. Very disappointing. 

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mgrajkumar 

The table names being added to the column names is a feature that was added to the driver. You can turn that feature off with the instructions here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Error-quot-SQLPrepare-Simba-Hardy-8...

I'm not sure what you mean by _vie schemas no longer being visible.

mgrajkumar
7 - Meteor

@HenrietteH  if a hive schema contains _view as suffix those are not getting visible in the visual query builder. Ex: If i have hive schemas

1. abc_view

2. abc_data

3. xyz_view 

only abc_data will be visible in the visual query builder. Bit strange behavior though.

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

@mgrajkumar 

The hive schema issue is something support is better equipped to help you with since it requires some digging and testing on our end. I think you're already in touch with them? 

mgrajkumar
7 - Meteor

@HenrietteH  if user's are restricted to few columns in a table/view then tables/views will show <Empty> fields in visual query builder. It doesn't show the fields which he/she has access to. This was not the behavior with old version. The current version uses "Select * from table"  to show the columns which will result in access denied as user don't have access to all the columns. This approach is also very inefficient as hive takes longer time to execute. 

Ideally should be using information schema/columns. Any upcoming fixes?

ak2018
8 - Asteroid

I performed step A and the Test through the ODBC configuration was a success but still getting this error when using the same DSN in Alteryx. Any suggestions?

tomm32
5 - Atom

20221015_233738.jpg

 how to receive this issue? It does not able to find local credential

tomm32
5 - Atom

I meant how to resolve the issue