Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Create your own Tool Category in the Tool Palette

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

You have gone through the hard work of creating your macro and now want to make it easy to insert this into your workflow time and time again. You may have, up until this point, been right clicking on the Alteryx Canvas and going to Insert>>>Macro. 

However, you can now create your own macro category by going to Options>>User Settings>>Edit User Settings

userSettings0.jpg

Within this splash screen you should now be able to see a macros tab:

userSettings2.jpg

At this point you can hit the '+' icon and you can give a name to your category and select the file folder where you save your macros in. 

Then simply press Apply and OK and the new tool category will appear at the end of your tool palette. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Comments
DultonM
11 - Bolide

You can also get your macros to appear in the existing tool categories by following the above directions and then in your macro's Meta Info tab, entering one of the existing category names into the "Category Name" textbox. See this example, which adds the open macro to the Transform Category.

Macro Category Example.PNG

SiriusFran
5 - Atom

Is there a way to customize the icon for our new tool palette ? This would be very useful I believe, as I have currently seven blue suitcases in my toolbar !

jwalder
10 - Fireball
If you are referring to the icon that appears on the Category tab, then create a 65x65 icon as a .png and if you name your .png correctly and put it here: {AlteryxInstallation}\bin\RuntimeData\icons\categories ...then the Category tab will use it.
mseelan
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have followed instructions and unable to view the category on the tool pallet, any help would be much appreciated

missgina
7 - Meteor

Hi.  I too have followed the instruction to add via the macros tab but am not getting a new category on the tool pallet.   

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

HI @missgina & @mseelan 

Is the location of your macros on a network drive? if so please make sure the path is UNC

You will also have to have a macro saved in this folder for it to appear in the designer

Please also ensure you start the designer from a brand new instance

Best,

Jordan