Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Create a help file/link for your custom Applications and/or Macros

MikeA
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Question

Have you ever wanted your own help page for your custom macros or applications?

Answer

If you create your own macros or applications and send them to other who aren’t as familiar with your project, or if you just need a refresher from time to time, you may try and access the help menu only to be greeted by the general Alteryx macros/apps pages:

Macro Workflows Page

Analytics App Workflows Page

You can actually create your own help pages/files that can be accessed how you would normally access the Alteryx Help Menu for any "out of the box" tool that comes with the Designer.

Using your favorite text editor (Microsoft Word, for example), you can create your help file with any instructions or graphics that you feel would be helpful to the end users who may need to access ahelp file. Once you are done, you can save this in any file format that your (or your users') machine is able to open, as well as any location those users would be able to access (a network drive for example).

In your application or macro’s Interface Designer Properties, there is an option to add the path of a file or hyperlink to your newly created help file.

InterfaceDesigner.JPG

For an example I created the following help file as a .docx, .pdf, and .htm file type. Each other these files open in their respective default programs.

Word:

Word.JPG

PDF:

PDF.JPG

HTM:

HTM.JPG

Comments
brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Might be a dumb question but does the hyperlinked help show up in the gallery window?  I mean will some button show up or is there a help link I'm just not seeing?  This function totally fits my needs but only if there is an easy way to get at it on the gallery website.

Thanks

ksiercks
5 - Atom

I have the same question.

rsidani
6 - Meteoroid

I have the same question.  I see the help on the app on the desktop, but nothing when posted to my gallery.

JTCairns
8 - Asteroid

+1

JTCairns
8 - Asteroid

One fix for this is to have the help file saved as a page on the gallery (done via admin portal) and then add a link via interface designer. Not ideal but works.

rohan_tibarewala
9 - Comet

Same question. I dont see any button or place on gallery where user can see that help.

banurekha11
5 - Atom

Same question. I dont see any button or place on gallery where user can see that help.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This option is only available in designer, you will see the help page before running the app.

fmvizcaino_0-1650318276636.png

If you want to show a link on the gallery page, you need to include a link in the interface designer, as below:

fmvizcaino_1-1650318514377.png