Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Configure Desktop with Scheduler

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

This article assumes that you've already installed Alteryx Desktop with Scheduler.

As with the preceding step,you must have Admin privileges on the computer being configured. You can run the Alteryx program as Administrator by right-clicking on the Alteryx program icon:

Run as admin.png

To set the configurations, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> System Settings. Alternatively, you can run the program Alteryx System Settings independently if it's conveniently on your desktop.

The Categories down the left will be Environment, Controller, Worker, Gallery (no subscreens), Engine. Likewise, the Status window will have the Gallery section gray and “Disabled”.

Status.png

For single desktop setups, the computer will be both Controller and Worker. Examples of how Controller and Worker interact can be found here.

Click Next to see the Environment Setup Type: Designer and Scheduler Only will have the radio button selected.

Environment Setup.png

Click Next again to bring up the Controller General configuration.

Controller General.png

Unless there is a compelling reason, don’t change the default data paths. Do confirm that there is sufficient disc space. (In Windows, right click on drive to view Properties, compare to the Alteryx default tech specs.)

For convenience, select Enable Scheduler auto-connect. Click Next to proceed.

Controller Persistence.png

For a default desktop (Designer) Scheduler setup, leave the Database Type as SQLite. If you want to set up and managea MongoDB, that will be more expandable ifyou eventually change to Server, but selecting MongoDB will not provide auto-configuration. Click Next to proceed.

Mapping is optional. Ifyou don't expect to do a lot of mapping immediately, leaving it unchecked is preferable. Click Next to proceed.

Worker Config.png

Leaving the number of simultaneous workflows at 1 is simplest. It makes running sequential schedules very straightforward. Leave sort/join memory at 0here. Modifications to Sort/Join Memory settings can be modified on the Engine General screen as described here. Click Next to proceed.

Run As.png

Set Run as different user. You can determine domain name using command prompt and whoami. You must configure a user with access to whatever shared resources will be needed. If left unconfigured, the default credentials will be used and data will not be found to be available. Click Next to proceed.

Allow machine to render tiles for mapping; it’s best to leave this checked. Click Next to proceed.

Skip Gallery.

Engine configuration can be left as defaults. If you choose to set Sort/Join, it should be half your physical memory (RAM) divided by the number of simultaneous Alteryx processes you expect to run. (Example: 16GB / 2 / 2 = 4GB = 4096 MB) Run engine at a lower priority is recommended for Gallery, which is not relevant to Designer + Scheduler configs. Whether to select this optionwill depend on performance preferences for other memory-intensive applications. Click Next to proceed.

After going through all the setup screens, you still need to click Finish and then on the next screen click Done. When the setup is complete, the AlteryxService will start and your Scheduler will be up and running.

For detailed instructions toschedule workflows or apps, please consult this resource!

Comments
kheuer
8 - Asteroid

@lepome - if I have the Desktop Scheduler running on my laptop and under my username, what would you recommend for out of office coverage? If something needs to be adjusted and the individual is not in the office, what are my options? In addition, if the user who has the scheduler on their desktop leaves the company, can all of the setups easily be transferred to a different username?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

---Kristina

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@kheuer

Hi Kristina,

For production situations, we would recommend that you use Alteryx Server rather than Desktop Automation.  Within the realm of Desktop Automation however, I don't think that we have an official recommendation for you.  

As I'm sure you know, the Scheduler only works as long as the AlteryxService is running, so you'd have to leave your laptop connected and running while you are out of the office.  

You (or your IT representative) can set Properties to allow a user the needed permissions.  Then if s/he logs on to your computer, s/he can run Alteryx Designer.

Properties.pngUser Accounts.png

Whether you consider setting up a new instance of Designer with Desktop Automation "easy" I can't say.  You can follow the directions in this post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Install-or-Upgrade-Designer-Scheduler/ta-p/8... and then substitute the SQLite backup from the original machine onto the new one.

AAA2191
5 - Atom

good afternoon. Are the above the same steps for alteryx version 2019.4x64?  Once I right click to run as adminstrator, it's not allowing me to see system settings in the app.  , go to Options -> Advanced Options -> System Settings

I'm not sure it's allowing me to be an administrator. any thoughts?

jayhaugen
5 - Atom

I am having the same results as AAA2191 in 2019.04.

There is no System Settings under

Options -> Advanced Options -> 

jayhaugen
5 - Atom

I figured out the issue, I had previously installed the Non-Admin version.  I re-installed the Admin version from Downloads it now have the Options -> Advanced Options -> System Settings

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

Hi @lepome -

I just setup my Desktop Scheduler on a new machine. I followed the above instructions and was able to successfully schedule workflows. However, all of them get stuck in the queue with the status "Queued". None of them start to process. I closed and open Alteryx, logged in both as an admin and with my own account. I checked Services and the Alteryx Service has the status "running". I can't figure out why they do not process. Ideas?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@kheuer 

The most simple reasons for this could be on the System Settings page for the Worker Configuration.  Review that page and make sure you've checked Allow the machine to run..., that you have at least 1 simultaneous workflow, and that the Quality of Service is 0, and (not shown) that the worker can Run unassigned jobs.

Also be sure to go all the way through every "Next" through "Finish" and "Done."

If you've checked those things (and you have a paid license), then open a case with Support.

harshal98
8 - Asteroid

@lepome 

Quick Question : 

Running WFs from my personal folders is my first priority.

Running WFs from that shared location is only for few WFs which can be said secondary but NEEDS TO RUN.

Hope setting to run the worker as a different user does not effect the other normally running WFs.

If it does, How do i deal with this situation?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@harshal98 

Running "as a different user" means that the AlteryxService will attempt to run using the credentials entered.  This is distinct from running as the local system account, which typically has very limited permissions.  There are three main options here:

1. Use your credentials for the Run As user.  This will allow the AlteryxService access to anything you can access.
  2. Run the service from your account.  (As shown in the below image, in Services, right-click on Alteryx Service and then select Properties > Log On and enter your credentials so that the Service runs as you, including before a workflow is initiated.)  This would allow you to run workflows "On Disk" using UNC paths that otherwise would not be accessible to the AlteryxService.  The downside of this approach is that you must remember to manually set this every time you upgrade/install Designer because it is not the default.
  3. Work with your IT/Security team to give more permissions to the local system account.  This may not be allowed for security reasons.

2021-06-19_8-13-40.png

manasmayur
5 - Atom

Does this have any licensing requirements?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@manasmayur 

Absolutely!  Installation of Designer and licensing to allow Desktop Automation is assumed completed before the steps in this article (referenced in the very first sentence).  Please also know that Desktop Automation is not a direct substitute for Server.  Please discuss with your Account Executive to make sure that you are provisioning an environment that will provide you the performance and capabilities that meet your needs.

somervill
7 - Meteor

Hey Lisa,

The system setting tab is no longer available on the 2022.1 version under the above described route. Do you have any idea where I may find that any more?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@somervill 
I intend to update this article as soon as I get around to it 🙂
There are three possible explanations for the fact that it shows up in my instance of 2022.1 but not in yours:

With Patch 1 installedWith Patch 1 installed

1. I have Patch 1 installed.  It's possible that there was a defect that has been fixed in the patch.
  2. I have the Admin version.  Non-admin does not have System Settings.
  3. I do not have FIPS version.  There is no scheduling with the FIPS release.

When you install a version of Desktop that is compatible with the Desktop Automation add-on license, you should also have an icon installed on your desktop that opens the System Settings.  That icon looks like this:
System Settings Desktop IconSystem Settings Desktop Icon

If you have neither, then you should probably go back and re-examine which software package you downloaded and installed.

somervill
7 - Meteor

Thanks Lisa, where can I get the patch 1 then?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@somervill 

Just like all other Alteryx software downloads, Patches are available in the Downloads portal.

Designer page of Downloads PortalDesigner page of Downloads Portal

somervill
7 - Meteor

It works! Thanks Lisa.

Just one quick follow up question, as I try to change some settings within, I was not able to save the change. Do you have any idea about this?

somervill_0-1661937335038.png

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@somervill 
Please make sure that you have current licenses both for Designer and for Desktop Automation installed on your instance.  (The first line of this article refers to the companion article, Install (or Upgrade) Designer + Scheduler, and although that article does not say so explicitly, the Desktop Automation license is a separate add-on license for which you must activate a second key.)  Please also understand that Desktop Automation is not as powerful as Server, nor is the upgrade to Server from Desktop Automation seamless.  If there is a chance that you will ever need to have multiple users run or schedule your workflows, I strongly encourage you to use Server instead.  Please contact your sales representative (Account Executive) for assistance.

somervill
7 - Meteor

It works! Thanks Lisa

devin_kelly
5 - Atom

Hi folks,

This is my first Alteryx Community question ever. Woohoo! Also, bare with me, as I'm kind of new to some of this language.

I have scheduler configured correctly on my computer and running on two workflows that take inputs from AWS buckets and output to Google sheets. After lots of tinkering, I've gotten them to work fine when my laptop is unlocked, without any issues with tokens or credentialing/ETC. This includes scheduled runs after XX minutes, ETC.

However, when set to run overnight (when the machine is locked), they aren't running. They're instead running as soon as I open the machine. This kind of works, as at least they're getting run. But obviously that's inconsistent and problematic for other users if I'm not around. I'm not finding any information on this issue even after lots of searching. Any advice on why this is happening and how to fix it?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@devin_kelly 
If by "locked" you mean sleeping, then that is exactly as expected.  The AlteryxService (required for scheduled workflows to be queued and run) depends on the computer being "awake."  There is a distinction between the screen being locked and the computer sleeping.  Check your Settings > Power & sleep settings to make sure that the machine does not go to sleep just because you have locked the screen or when idle for a period of time.  (If it is a laptop, you will also want to be very sure that it is plugged into power.)Check Sleep SettingsCheck Sleep Settings