community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Configure Desktop with Scheduler

Alteryx
Alteryx
Created on

This article assumes that you've already installed Alteryx Desktop with Scheduler.

As with the preceding step, you must have Admin privileges on the computer being configured. You can run the Alteryx program as Administrator by right-clicking on the Alteryx program icon:

Run as admin.png

To set the configurations, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> System Settings.  Alternatively, you can run the program Alteryx System Settings independently if it's conveniently on your desktop.

The Categories down the left will be Environment, Controller, Worker, Gallery (no subscreens), Engine.  Likewise, the Status window will have the Gallery section gray and “Disabled”.

Status.png

For single desktop setups, the computer will be both Controller and Worker.  Examples of how Controller and Worker interact can be found here.

Click Next to see the Environment Setup Type:  Designer and Scheduler Only will have the radio button selected.

Environment Setup.png

Click Next again to bring up the Controller General configuration.

Controller General.png

Unless there is a compelling reason, don’t change the default data paths.  Do confirm that there is sufficient disc space.  (In Windows, right click on drive to view Properties, compare to the Alteryx default tech specs.)

For convenience, select Enable Scheduler auto-connect.  Click Next to proceed.

Controller Persistence.png

For a default desktop (Designer) Scheduler setup, leave the Database Type as SQLite.  If you want to set up and manage a MongoDB, that will be more expandable if you eventually change to Server, but selecting MongoDB will not provide auto-configuration.  Click Next to proceed.

Mapping is optional.  If you don't expect to do a lot of mapping immediately, leaving it unchecked is preferable.  Click Next to proceed.

Worker Config.png

Leaving the number of simultaneous workflows at 1 is simplest.  It makes running sequential schedules very straightforward. Leave sort/join memory at 0 here.  Modifications to Sort/Join Memory settings can be modified on the Engine General screen as described here. Click Next to proceed.

Run As.png

Set Run as different user.  You can determine domain name using command prompt and whoami.  You must configure a user with access to whatever shared resources will be needed.  If left unconfigured, the default credentials will be used and data will not be found to be available.  Click Next to proceed.

Allow machine to render tiles for mapping; it’s best to leave this checked.  Click Next to proceed.

Skip Gallery.

Engine configuration can be left as defaults.  If you choose to set Sort/Join, it should be half your physical memory (RAM) divided by the number of simultaneous Alteryx processes you expect to run.  (Example: 16GB / 2 / 2 = 4GB = 4096 MB)  Run engine at a lower priority is recommended for Gallery, which is not relevant to Designer + Scheduler configs.  Whether to select this option will depend on performance preferences for other memory-intensive applications.  Click Next to proceed.

After going through all the setup screens, you still need to click Finish and then on the next screen click Done.  When the setup is complete, the AlteryxService will start and your Scheduler will be up and running.

For detailed instructions to schedule workflows or apps, please consult this resource!

Comments
Asteroid

@LisaL - if I have the Desktop Scheduler running on my laptop and under my username, what would you recommend for out of office coverage? If something needs to be adjusted and the individual is not in the office, what are my options? In addition, if the user who has the scheduler on their desktop leaves the company, can all of the setups easily be transferred to a different username?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

---Kristina

Alteryx
Alteryx

@kheuer

Hi Kristina,

For production situations, we would recommend that you use Alteryx Server rather than Desktop Automation.  Within the realm of Desktop Automation however, I don't think that we have an official recommendation for you.  

As I'm sure you know, the Scheduler only works as long as the AlteryxService is running, so you'd have to leave your laptop connected and running while you are out of the office.  

You (or your IT representative) can set Properties to allow a user the needed permissions.  Then if s/he logs on to your computer, s/he can run Alteryx Designer.

Properties.pngUser Accounts.png

Whether you consider setting up a new instance of Designer with Desktop Automation "easy" I can't say.  You can follow the directions in this post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Install-or-Upgrade-Designer-Scheduler/ta-p/8... and then substitute the SQLite backup from the original machine onto the new one.