Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Complete Uninstall of Alteryx Designer

MichaelF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

How-To

Do a complete uninstall of Alteryx Designer. These are steps for when Alteryx Designer needs to be completely removed from a machine.

Prerequisites

Alteryx Designer (with or without Predictive)

Procedure

1. Always attempt to uninstall via the Control Panel first (Control Panel -> Uninstall a program). It will be listed as Alteryx x64. (Predictive Install will be listed as “Alteryx Predictive Tools with R-”)
  • Note: You can back-up the files with your connections to external data sources. However, it is recommended to not restore them unless you verify that Designer is working first. Here are the locations of these files. Note the files will only exist if there are connections with the matching type configured:

• C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\

There may be up to three files in this folder: GalleryAlias.xml, UserAlias.xml, and UserConnections.xml. 

• C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine

There may be up two files in this folder: SystemAlias.xml and SystemConnections.xml

• To back up your user settings file, the file is located here. This file contains any customized setting configured in the Options, User Settings, Edit User Settings tabs:

• C:\user_name\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine\current_version
The filename is: UserSettings.xml

1. Remove all folders in the following directories. Use Windows Explorer and copy each path below into the search bar. The full path on your workstation will appear. Right-click each Alteryx folder and delete.

%PROGRAMFILES%\Alteryx
%PROGRAMDATA%\Alteryx
%PROGRAMDATA%\SRC
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Alteryx
%APPDATA%\SRC
%APPDATA%\Alteryx
%USERPROFILE%\.shiv
   -- Delete the entire .shiv folder that is located in the %userprofile%

1. Open Regedit from the Start Menu and remove the following keys, if they exist:

For Alteryx Product Name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Alteryx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alteryx
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\0EDA5878EDA066E4BB6504B20F8D1F72
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\106B25CDBF4FEE641961EC7471AAE132
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\881A7BE7F3F21DF45A59568C4A35FBF6

For Predictive Install:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\0EDA5878EDA066E4BB6504B20F8D1F72
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\0F6659ABF143ADF4DAA8B72EF7BAC5DD

After reinstalling, reactivation of your Designer licenses is required. Do this in the Options > Manage Licenses window. 

Comments
    CristianoJ
    Alteryx
    Alteryx

Also make sure to remove these other folders if they are present:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Alteryx

For additional reference also review this other document:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Full-Uninstall-of-Designer/m-p/334646#...

mlingama
    7 - Meteor

We uninstalled and removed the folders as directed.  However, we could not find the keys in the registry to remove.  We re-installed, but Alteryx is now not starting up. It looks like it will start, but the startup screen never opens up.  We rebooted the computer after install.

Mohanaad
    5 - Atom

i have similar issue and i am not able to open alteryx 

DuncanT
    Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Only one of the two registry entries were there in my case, but this worked for me! Thank you!

hoanglecong96
    5 - Atom

Hi, I can't find both registry key folder, I only found the 2 AppData folder and I still can't uninstall my Alteryx. Can someone from Alteryx Support team assist?

CristianoJ
    Alteryx
    Alteryx

@hoanglecong96, If you have only one of the two registry keys, that's fine.

If you need to create a case with Alteryx Support send an email to support@alteryx.com.  Include a detailed description of your issue, including screenshots of version and error you are getting, and a support engineer will get back to you.

PaulNo
    10 - Fireball

Hi @CristianoJ,

I would be careful with removing %LOCALAPPDATA%\Alteryx.Doing so would remove folder Autosave and therefore all the auto recovered files (menu Open Workflow, Open Autorecovered Files).

Thanks,

PaulN

CristianoJ
    Alteryx
    Alteryx

Great @PaulNo , I hope you are doing well.

Since this post is for a "Complete Uninstall" I'd say that would also include Auto Saved files or anything else that would be stored within the Alteryx folders. But good to bring this up.  It is not good practice to save workflows in the Alteryx installation folders, but users should be aware and backup any auto saved files if they are interested in those too.

The autosaved directory would be under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Alteryx\Autosave

Babai
    5 - Atom

Hi all,

I have done all the above mentioned steps .However when i am trying to reinstall Alteryx latest version 2020.3 its giving issue as 

(The source installation package for the product AlteryxProductName" is out of sync with client package.Try installation again using a valid copy of the installation package "alteryxinstall64.msi")

Please kindly help me else i believe formatting is the only solution

PaulNo
    10 - Fireball

Hi @Babai,

This message means that there is a discrepancy between installation file located under %PROGRAMDATA% and the path mentioned under registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\MimarSinan\InstallAware\Ident.Cache\.

Please make sure that all the keys under Ident.Cache (they look like {DC52B601-F4FB-46EE-9116-CE4717AA1E23} for example) have matching folders under C:\ProgramData (aka in the case of previous registry key, there should be a folder named C:\ProgramData\{DC52B601-F4FB-46EE-9116-CE4717AA1E23}. It doesn't matter if they are empty but they need to exist. These folders and registry keys are created and used by InstallAware to support the installation process of Alteryx Designer and Server.

If this still doesn't work, then you will have to use some of the flags for the installation. It should be something like AlteryxInstallxxx /NOCHECK=TRUE.. Unfortunately I can't verify now.

As usual, if you are still stuck, feel free to email support@alteryx.com.

Best,

PaulN

lepome
    Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@hoanglecong96 

Another thing to try "shouldn't" make any difference at all, but sometimes it does:  Use Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features to uninstall the program

Use Control PanelUse Control Panel

rather than Settings > Apps & features.  

Settings doesn't always work as wellSettings doesn't always work as well

DrEykamp
    5 - Atom

R Uninstall failed, but deleting the registry key for Predictive Analysis worked like a charm.

Its a 0 (zero) not an O as the lead character which might make it easier to find....

Kaustubh17
    8 - Asteroid

Explanation is very descriptive. I understand everything. Thanks for the uninstall process

lepome
    Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@DrEykamp 
    Yes, the keys are hexadecimal (so only alphabetically extend through "F")
    Also, for non-admin the Registry keys are 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\F51F06E21543C5646B2A263AABA55AA6

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\681E7E57A9B83B64382A3456D625F411

davidhe
    Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I simply ran into an issue with the predictive tools, couldn't uninstall from control panel, couldn't run install .exe. Instructions here on deleting registry keys for predictive tools fixed it, thanks @DrEykamp !

RWvanLeeuwen
    11 - Bolide

This shortlist is insanely helpful as I have to follow this routing almost every 4 months on my machine due to randomly breaking Designer functionality. Kudos for sharing this