Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Big Red X when copy/paste with caching

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Environment Details

Very rarely Designer can crash with a big red X across a window. One such situation has been observed and resolved.

• Alteryx Designer, Server
    • Version:  2020.3, but may also affect others
  • Microsoft .NET Framework
    • Version:  4.7.2
  • Error log written to %ProgramData%\Alteryx\ErrorLogs
    Alteryx Designer x64 - 2020.3.4.30228
    Type: System.NullReferenceException
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Source: MindFusion.Diagramming
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0
    OS Is x64 Capable: True
    Selected Plugin: None
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
    Private Memory: 478306304
    --------------------------------------------
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.Selection.RemoveItem(DiagramItem item)
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.ContainerNode.DeselectContainedItems()
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.ContainerNode.DoFold()
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.ContainerNode.set_Folded(Boolean value)
       at AlteryxGuiToolkit.Document.AlteryxContainerNode.Draw(IGraphics graphics, RenderOptions options)
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.Diagram.DrawItem(IGraphics graphics, DiagramItem item, Boolean relatedItems)
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.Diagram.DrawItems(IGraphics graphics, RectangleF clipRect, Boolean modfBackBuf)
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.Diagram.Draw(IGraphics graphics, RenderOptions options, RectangleF clipRect, Boolean noModifiedItems)
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.WinForms.DiagramView.DrawDiagram(IGraphics graphics, RectangleF clip, Boolean noModifiedItems)
       at MindFusion.Diagramming.WinForms.DiagramView.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Cause

.NET Framework corruption

Resolution

Repair or replace .NET Framework

If this is not a solution for your situation, you might try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the software.  Rather than manually deleting directories, you can rename them, so that it's easier to restore your settings later.  Similarly, backing up the registry by exporting it before you make changes is prudent.  Please open a case with Support.

Comments
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I just noticed that (at least on my computer) the links don't open automatically.  I intend to fix this and republish the article, but in the meantime, please just open in a new tab.  Thanks

I am on version 2021.1 x64.

When this happened, it is always I have to force to shut down Alteryx via Task Manager.

It wont let me open or close the tab itself.

AsmiDesai
9 - Comet

I encountered this issue today and I was able to solve it by :

- I just saved workflow with big red X

- Then just opened it again 

and it was gone.

MrzSanchez
5 - Atom

I closed the workflow without saving my latest updates and it reopened without the error. Ü