Inspire EMEA 2022 On-Demand is live! Watch now, and be sure to save the date for Inspire 2023 in Las Vegas next May.

Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.

Auto Answer Y or N in Run Command

WayneWooldridge
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

There are some command line statements that require you answer Y (yes) or N (no) before the statement will completely execute. Case in point: let's say I want to delete files that are in a particular directory to clean up any files I no longer need (e.g. they are temporary work files), and I want to do this using a Run Command tool.

So I drag and drop a Run Command tool to my canvas.

CommandLine2.png

And I configure the tool:

CommandLine3.png

Since the Run Command is a stand-alone tool, I have to select 'dummy' output and input files. In the command line I point to where command line executable file is located (C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe in my case). Then I add my command arguments. '/C' carries out the command specified and then terminates. DEL is the command to delete files and I specify the path where the files are located. '*' is a wildcard character that will allow me to delete all the files in that path.

When I run the workflow, I get prompted with a question which requires a manual answer/input from me.

CommandLine1.png

If I had set this up to run minimized and/or in silent mode, it is possible I wouldn't know I was being prompted for an answer. How can you answer 'Y' in the command prompt automatically? You need to turn echo off. This can be done by adding '/Q' in the Command Argument like this:

CommandLine4.png

Now when you run the workflow, it will automatically answer 'Y' and delete your files.

As an added bonus, there are many of these '/?' commands that can come in handy. Here is a list of the more commonly used commands:

/C      Carries out the command specified by string and then terminates /K      Carries out the command specified by string but remains /S      Modifies the treatment of string after /C or /K (see below) /Q      Turns echo off /D      Disable execution of AutoRun commands from registry (see below) /A      Causes the output of internal commands to a pipe or file to be ANSI /U      Causes the output of internal commands to a pipe or file to be         Unicode /T:fg   Sets the foreground/background colors (see COLOR /? for more info) /E:ON   Enable command extensions (see below) /E:OFF  Disable command extensions (see below) /F:ON   Enable file and directory name completion characters (see below) /F:OFF  Disable file and directory name completion characters (see below) /V:ON   Enable delayed environment variable expansion using ! as the         delimiter. For example, /V:ON would allow !var! to expand the         variable var at execution time.  The var syntax expands variables         at input time, which is quite a different thing when inside of a FOR         loop. /V:OFF  Disable delayed environment expansion.

No ratings