Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Alteryx Designer - Troubleshooting Hive error message "Syntax or semantic analysis error thrown in server while executing query.": ParseException in expression specification Insert into

JohnGD
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Environment Details

• Product - Alteryx Designer
  • Product - Simba Hive ODBC Driver ODBC (32- and 64-bit)

Issue

The following error can occur when writing out to a Hive table, using the Output tool :

idea Skyscrapers

or In-DB tools such as Data Stream In or Write Data In-DB :

Error: Data Stream In (6): DataWrap2ODBC::SendBatch: [Simba][Hardy] (80) Syntax or semantic analysis error thrown in server while executing query.
Error message from server: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: ParseException line 1:74 cannot recognize input near '?' ')' '<EOF>' in expression specification Insert into 
`AYX200409de77bf5e5757b198bf03327808bf6f9f`(`fields`) Values (?)

Cause

Some client application using an ODBC DSN for Hive may be "Hive-aware" and emit queries written in HiveQL (SQL-like interface to access structured data).
It is not the case of Alteryx Designer. It will expect the ODBC Driver to perform the query transformation.

The error will be encountered if the DSN is configured with the expectation that Designer will send queries that follow the HiveQL specifics.

Resolution

Solving this issue consists in changing the DSN's configuration so that the driver transforms the queries emitted by Alteryx Designer and converts them into an equivalent form in HiveQL.

The steps are the below :

1. Open ODBC Data Source Administrator on the machine
  2. Locate the DSN (it can be a User DSN or System DSN) and select "Configure"
    • idea Skyscrapers
  3. On the new window, select "Advanced Options..."
    • idea Skyscrapers
  4. Uncheck the "Use Native Query" box
  5. Save the changes
  6. Run the workflow to confirm that the issue is solved

Additional Resources  

As always, don't hesitate to contact us over at Customer Support if you run into any trouble.

Comments
hardikdkanabar
5 - Atom

HI I am using cloudera impala driver and i still run into the above issues, any guidance on this would be really helpful..

belinna
5 - Atom

Same here, issue persists in Cloudera and Simba even after unchecking  "Use Native Query" box. Although other connectors and write in work successfully. Please advise

Edu_XGomes
7 - Meteor

Same here I´ve got this:

[Cloudera][Hardy] (80) Syntax or semantic analysis error thrown in server while executing query. Error message from server: Error while compiling statement: FAILED:

And also: I would need to store file as parquet not as textfile since I am taking all jobs done in Hive and changing them to Alteryx.

Please help.

Thanks 

Eduardo.