Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Add tools to the canvas without your mouse

oliver_huber
7 - Meteor
Created

Dear community,

I like to share my way of adding a new tool to the canvas without using the mouse. It might prove useful to one or another keyboard addicted Alteryx hacker 😉

To my knowledge, there are no build-in keyboard shortcuts to achieve what I have been aiming for, i.e., adding tools to the canvas by keyboard only.In order to do so, I am now relying on an external free of charge program, Autohotkeys. It is a windows only program, however, there might be MAC alternatives around, e.g., Keyboard Meastro.

I use Autohotkeys to achieve the following: A single keypress (F9 in my case) opens my list of favorite Alteryx tools:

Alteryx Insert Context Menu

The actual work is carried out by the following autokey script, which maps the function key F9 to a specific sequence of events (right mouse click, timeout, key "i", timeout, key "f")

F9::
Send {RButton}
Sleep, 5
Send {i}
Sleep, 5
Send {f}
Return

As a result, by pressingF9 a complete list of my favorite tools (a list that can of course be extended) is displayed. I can then use the respective starting letter of the required tool to navigate through the list, e.g., pressing "r" to get to the R-Tool.

I find that procedure pretty useful. I does, of course, rely on a well curated list of favorites 😉

Best regards

Oli