Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

2019.4+ Failed to Start new Hyper Instance

JakeS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Environment Details

User receives the following error when outputting hyper file:

Failed to start a new Hyper instance. Context: 0x86a93465 Caused by: The Hyper server process exited during startup with exit code: 1, Command-line: ""C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Tableau\bin\hyper\hyperdstarter.exe" -x "database_directory=C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp"

• Alteryx Designer\Server 2019.4+
  • .hyper output via Output Data Tool

Cause

When publishing a Hyper file via the output tool, an anti-virus interferes with the communication pipes HyperD.exe utilizes.

Resolution

Whitelist HyperD.exe (located in <INSTALL_DIRECTORY>\Alteryx\bin\Tableau\hyper\bin\hyper from all Anti-Virus software including any heuristic scanning.

Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@JakeS We just upgraded our server from 2019.2 to 2020.2.2.27029. Outputting to hyper worked in 2019.2 but doesn't work in 2020.2. We disabled our antivirus without any luck. I am able to get it tor run on a desktop running the non-admin install (without messing with the antivirus). I also saw this post where people seem to be still having problems. Do you have any other suggestions? I'd be happy to work with support, but I'm just curious if you have any other pointers since disabling our antivirus didn't seem to work. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@JakeS and anybody else who comes across this issue, it turns out that our hardware doesn't support the new Tableau Hyper API that Alteryx 2019.4+ uses. I have more details here as well as an idea to fix this error here.

mvtejano
7 - Meteor

This is Interesting and very helpful. Thank you.