The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

"Run Until Here" for large workflows

In some of our larger workflows it's sometime tedious to run a workflow in order to see some data, when adding something in the beginning of the workflow. Running und stopping it as soon as the tools gets a green border is sometimes an option.

It would be convenient to have an option in the context menu to run a workflow only until a specific tool.

In effect, only this specific tool has an output visible for inspection and only the streams necessary for this tool have been run - everything else is ignored and I'm fine to not see data for the other tools.

This would speed up the development of small parts in a larger workflow much more convenient.

Regards

Christopher

PS: Yes, I can put everything else in a container and deactivate it. But a straight forward way without turning containers on and off would be preferable in my opinion. (I think KNIME as something similar.)

8 Comments
TerryT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@chrisha, have you checked out the (fairly) new caching functionality?

chrisha
11 - Bolide
@TerryT Yes, I have. But my idea so reversed, so to speak... I don't want a starting point with everything cached upstream, but a termination point with everything run up until a specific point.
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@chrisha,  how about if you just remove the connection between the tool where you want the workflow to stop and the next tool? 

chrisha
11 - Bolide
@DavidP Sure... I can also add a container and disable it. There already ways to achieve this, no doubt. It's just a question of ease-of-use and user experience. In larger workflows with many Filters, Dynamic Selects and Unions, it'd be handy if I can quickly get data up to the point I'm currently working on.
ThizViz
11 - Bolide

In the meantime, I did this sort of thing by outputting to a .yxdb mid-stream and using the Runner macros to continue the workflow.

iCFO
9 - Comet

This would be massively helpful to me. Ideally it could be strategically placed in larger work flows and conditionally / manually toggled on and off. This would be a much more user friendly way to do things like allow the initial data prep portion of a workflow to be run and assessed for additional cleanup needs before moving to the main workflow.

Workarounds like splitting up workflows up and using series runners, manually toggling a bunch of containers, or nesting portions of workflows inside conditionally controlled containers within macros all have serious UI downsides.

David_Ferland
5 - Atom

I agree that a 'run until here' when right clicking a node in the workflow (or something similar) would be a large improvement for the user experience. Regards

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes