The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

Hi there,

I was hoping that there could be an update to track changes in workflows more dynamically like on other coding and saving platforms such as git and java. There are systems that will highlight an area where a change has been made from one version to another. This would be very beneficial for users that use the alteryx server to be able to load any historical workflow and when it opens in the canvas, lets say a macro has been changed from one version to the other, that macro would glow red to know there was a change here so coders can see what was changed if there is now an error or if they are not completely sure what was changed without just relying on comments.

Thanks!

-Jacob

0 Likes

It really would be great if Alteryx supports the 'set' data type.

I often have situations where I really wish I could make a field with a data type of "set".

For example, I have a table of pets owned by each person.

The "Pets" Field would be perfect if it could be processed as a "set" type.

PersonPets
JohnDog, Cat
SusanFish

(I sort the pet values in alphabetical order, and concatenate the string values using the summarize tool. This is the best I could think of)

0 Likes

Hi Team,

I have an idea where we can use Alteryx to build a virtual Assistant. As we are currently using Intelligent suite extract information through pdfs. Now we can connect the VA and Intelligent suite to offer a complete product.

Please let us know your views,

0 Likes

Today the Autofield tool transforms the fields into byte by default when it considers that the content is suitable while we expect text in it and that it can simply be a field not filled in in the context current but which may be later.

The idea would be to be able to choose which type by default to implement on text or empty fields and not the default byte because a byte field is not recognized on a formula using an IN for example which can produce errors in the following workflows.

0 Likes

Hello,

My idea is that the current Download tool does not handle errors and continues its path even if it does not find for example a file in the transmitted URL or if it does not find the hostname it crashes.

In the case of a user with several URLs in a row, this is penalizing.

In the case of downloading files with recording, it still writes a file (thus overwriting the existing file) but which is not openable and is not in the correct format. (BLOCKED file!) Which then causes problems in workflows reading these files.

The idea would be to put a second output to this tool for all the URLs where there was a problem (non-existent hostname, file not found, HTTP KO) and one where it received the expected elements so as not to prejudice the processing. and allow better management of error cases.

Regards,

Bruno

0 Likes

Hi,

Since the Geocoders create point data, having the spatial field recognized as a centroid can be helpful to the user. If it's marked as a centroid, it makes it easier for the user to differentiate between point vs polygon/line, especially if the user is already using polygon data in the module. If I do a Spatial Match or Join, I can have two fields called SpatialObj, which I have to track back to figure out which is which. If after combining, it showed Centroid for my geocoded points and SpatialObj for my polygon data. Kind of like you do for the Create Points tool, if I use that the field is called Centroid.

Thanks,

0 Likes

 Hi Team,

I have a dataset of x,y values that I am plotting with an interactive chart tool. These values will vary widely so I can't use custom display ranges and have to rely on the "Auto" function for display range.

My problem is that the two axis are Auto scaled to different scaling and it is turning all my ellipse shapes into circles. Not a huge setback as you can check the Axis labels to see the scale but for this use case the shape of the data is what I am trying to portray and this makes my reports somewhat misleading.

I'm suggesting adding an option, maybe a tick box, under the interactive chart's "Auto" config that would allow both Axis to be scaled the same amount (That of the highest value).

Cheers,

Stephen

0 Likes

While using a Find & replace we get a message that says "Info: Find Replace (3): 5893 records were found and 14318 records were not found."

Why do not you add a Flag column say "Found & Replaced?" with "Yes" for those where it is found for 5893 records and "NO" for those 14318 records where we did not find anything.

This will help everyone I believe where data comes from multiple sources and used for consolidation

0 Likes

Currently users have the option of outputting to a PNG image but currently can only use Inches to get the size set. I want to be able to output with a pixel size not in inches. 

joshuaburkhow_0-1602935874065.png

0 Likes

Alteryx crashed when I attempted to use a custom OTF font in Report Text. I thought it was supported because font options was not greyed out and preview window looked correct and I was able to resize. I clicked 'Apply' and Alteryx popup window appeared saying "only TTF font is supported". Then Alteryx crashed.

Please add OTF font support. Tableau and other packages already support it.

0 Likes

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for a bug report, but I just solved one that has been bugging me for ages. Of the six key commands to hide and reveal the various panels, only five work, and now I know why.

Apparently the 'Results' panel used to be the 'Output' panel? I found some outdated docs that mentioned Crtl + Alt + O to open/hide the Output panel. Sure enough, the reason Ctrl + Alt + R doesn't work in the current version is that, in spite of what the menu text says, it's O that is still mapped to that panel, and not R.

I only discovered this after making sure none of my other installed apps were stealing that key combination. Thank you, process of elimination.

0 Likes

Enable multiple sheet selection for excel

0 Likes

I would like to be able to connect to an AWS EMR resource.

And an AWS gov cloud endpoint.

0 Likes

Hello Team,

I have been using Alteryx for sometime now. The final output of any kind be it analytics or simple Excel outputs is expected to have some basic formatting.

A minimum of 3 Tools and humongous effort is need to format even basic headers and Cells with a border and color.

Using Table followed by Render and then column level setting for having borders for the set of data is little time consuming considering it has 0 impact on the actual data output.

Additionally Render tool to Excel will be in number format regardless of the data type. Same is the case for date fields.

Also the Render tool Layout changes impact the data as well as the column lengths adversely.

Can we have some simple option of overwriting a file where the formatted excel is merely overwritten with data without changing the datatype or format out the excel sheet.

It would be huge win if this is easily do-able wither via a new tool or as an option in the output tool.

0 Likes

While doing Find replace with the following settings,

ashissanpui_0-1602081512552.png

The output limits to the number of characters comes with "Replace source". If the number of characters in "Replace  Found Text With Value" is more than the source then it will truncate the value to source. I feel it's not correct. 

Suggesting, that there should be an option to overwrite the "field size" or keep as it coming from source.

0 Likes

A lot of business processes require encryption and decryption, for either data transfer or authentication processes.  It would be great if Alteryx could expose some of the C# encryption functions from the System.Security.Cryptography library, as either functions in the Formula tool, or as new tools. 

I know that some of these algorithms require byte input, so a new tool might be the sensible option, so that user can pass various data types that are pre-coded to byte arrays before going into the algorithms.

0 Likes

I get the following message when running a macro with the Render tool inside

" Alteryx ppt testing1 (162) Tool #26: You have found a bug. Replicate, then let us know. We shall fix it soon."

I believe this happens when there is multiple line breaks next to each other and trying to put this into the render tool outputting to powerpoint within a table.I have the formula for updating the line breaks "Replace([Layout],"&lt;br /&gt;","<br />")" which works when there aren't very many line breaks but now I have integrated Python to regex out HTML the Render tool has stopped working

0 Likes

When using Dynamic Input with databases, the Database may be returning errors or other information that the tool cannot parse into a dataset.

It would be great if we could see the 'raw' response from the database somehow, as this might provide insight into why we are not getting the expected results. 

If the tool could output an optional error column that has the unparsed response from the database server, it might allow us to debug the problem ourselves. 

If the returned data is actually a string response from the database, but one that is flawed in some way, we might still be able to parse data out of it to 'ride over' the error.

0 Likes

Field selection in Multi-Field Formula seems to be 'All' or 'All of a Type' or, potentially, lots of manual tagging.  I have >600 fields and want to select about 150 adjacent fields.  Is it possible to implement a 'mass select' option within the Multi-Field Formula Tool, as found in other tools?

0 Likes

Configuration window - Add feature to zoom in or out of the configuration window similar to the canvas.  There is alot going on in the Configuration window and it would be helpful (especially for those of us with eyesight challenges) to be able to zoom in/out similar to the Canvas. 

Top Liked Authors