Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

I would like to see additional basic chart options from plotly in Interactive Charts including:

• Sunburst,
  • Gantt,
  • Bubble,
  • Sankey,
  • Treemap &
  • Dot plots.

See this link for more examples:

https://plotly.com/python/basic-charts/

Often I am developing a workflow and need to output to a specific network folder location on our company's shared drive. As part of our business requirements, I have the full filepath available to me as I develop.

It would be nice if, when I go to configure the Output Data tool and select a file that will be saved at a folder location, if I were able to simply paste the file path in the "address"/quick access bar (much the same way you can do so in Windows File Explorer. Currently, you cannot do this and have to navigate to the file manually if you are using the save dialogue.

I realize that you can paste the file path to the "Write to File or database" prompt within the Output Tool configuration window. However, this does not allow you the ability to explore the file location simultaneously and ensure that you are dropping the file exactly where you want to. Updating the save dialogue experience itself would help the versatility of the user experience when looking to navigate and identify the folder location desired (or even create a new subfolder or something similar)

It would be extremely helpful if the Alteryx documentation expanded more on how to specify a basic character class from within the documentation page:

https://help.alteryx.com/10.6/index.htm#boost/character_class_names.html%3FTocPath%3DReference%7CBoo...

so that you could easily tell Alteryx what character class you want, as outlined here:

Currently, it is very hard to look at the documentation, and know what characters encompass what class. Adding this would be extremely useful. The only way I found the syntax was through the formula menu, which is depressing that its not on the function reference page itself:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/RegEx-Perl-Syntax-Guide/ta-p/1288

6-1-2017 11-43-01 AM.jpg.png

I absolutely love that version 11.05 added the "open containing folder" function to each workflow tab.  Can you add the same to input files?

I'm stealing this idea from Tableau's number formatting, it's a timesaver.

In the DateTime tool if I've initially selected a value besides Custom in the "Select the format..." list then when I click Custom rather than having the Custom textbox be blank I'd like to have it automatically populated with whatever formatting string I just selected. Here's an example screenshot:

Working with the Salesforce Input tool, most of the tables I work with contain the QualifiedAPIName (technical name) for each field, where I would like to eventually output the labels as seen in Salesforce itself (much more user friendly for end users).

To get this result, I need to access the table FieldDefinition with another Salesforce Input tool and the use a Dynamic Rename. This is quite simple, yet need to be done every time.

Per_0-1596783583621.png

Could the Salesforce Tool be enhanced to have an option to do this dynamic rename "in-tool", as a simple toggle for the user.

I am particular interested in hearing from other Salesforce Input tool users, if they see the same issue, or I am missing something obvious?

Hello,

I would like to make a suggestion for the Histogram to allow the designer to insert a Tick Mark on the Histogram.

The use case for this is displaying a Histogram of values and then showing where a single value is.

Thank You,

Michael

When CrossTab is used, string data in fields is converted to field names.  If the data in the data field has a hyphen in it, this is automatically converted to an underscore when it becomes a field name. 

Hyphens are legal in field names, so can we make CrossTab tolerate the string as is without changing it?  If that is a breaking change, could a checkbox be added that allows users to get CrossTab to try to use the text as is and exception if the string is illegal as a field name?

Hyphens are required in the field name when using the Download tool, as some header names like "Content-Type" have hyphens in them.

With more and more tools, macros, drivers installed and an increasing complexity, it is common to place a call for help with Alteryx Customer Support, Alteryx Community, and any person who is willing to help.

Unfortunately, it often ends with a helpful person asking for lots of details looking like following daunting list:

- Version of Alteryx Designer

- Installed Alteryx licenses

- Versions of drivers (ODBC, OCI, OLEDB, etc.)

- Screen resolution

- OS

- RAM, CPU, Available disk space

- Environment variables

- Installed tools (%APPDATA% and %PROGRAMDATA%) and versions

- Error Logs (potentially event logs)

- Antivirus and versions

- R packages installed out of Alteryx (with locations and versions)

- Extra Python packages installed

- Any Python/R distribution installed

- Status of Alteryx Service (for Designer with Scheduler)

- RuntimeSettings.xml

- Python tool installation logs

- list of autosave files (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Alteryx\Autosave)

- AlteryxService logs (for Scheduler)

- Alteryx Gallery logs (not relevant for Designer, fair enough).

- etc.

These are just examples...

Note that:

• Some of these details are available via msinfo32.exe.
  • Community contains a few workflows to help with this tedious task (useful if Designer could work and if you can find such workflows)

Instead it could easier to:

- Click on an entry under Help menu

- Click on an icon on the Desktop 

- Run a command line

to generate a report and attach (if wanted) logs

Same external program could be used for these tasks (external so it could work even if Alteryx product was "broken").

In terms of benefits:

- for end users: easy to use (no need to remember x locations that might change between versions) 

- for local IT: easy to use and good tool to generate a snapshot of a machine with an Alteryx product installed on it

- for anybody involved in support (local champions, Alteryx support team(s), Alteryx Community, etc.): better support since there would be one thing to ask instead of risking to miss something important. Potential patterns (incompatibility with antivirus, else) would be easier to spot too.

This would provide a new -better?- way for anyone involved in helping users (including Community) and could be helpful in case of escalation.

Thanks,

PaulN

Hi Team,

Version: 2019.3

Issue:

As what title said, it was hard to see the records display when the records is too large.

I have to adjust the Config Window to see the records. It is pain when checking a workflow with Join.

Suggestion:

1. Used fraction:   100,000/1,000,000 Records Displayed

2. Change based on the size it have, minimum will be 1,000,000 Records. Partial displayed will show if it expand.

3. Reduce the space for Search Bar, only Expand if selected.

4. Use another line. 

Appendix

10 Records (no Issue)

1 Million Records1 Million Records

1 Miillion Records (Issue to see the records)

10 Records10 Records

It would be very helpful to have hidden/interactive labels that can be utilized for an Report Map that only appear when the user is hovering over a specific part of the map. For example they only want to see the sales numbers for California, but do want to change the map. It probably makes the most sense to have this available for the HTML Report Maps. This would allow the report map to not look too crowded with labels, but still have the labels available if the user is interested in a particular part of the map. Is this something that can eventually be added to the report map tool?

I'd love to see easier access to Sample Data.  Often while training, we run into issues with the location of sample data being different for different users (even on the same call) based on whether or not they are using the admin or non-admin version.  Being able to quickly navigate directly to the sample data location would allow for easier access. 

I have used Publish to Tableau Server macro for over a years.  It works fine when I want to overwrite the data. 

However, the current macros (from Alteryx Gallery and Invisio) won't work with appending the data. Please modify or develop a workable macro for 'Append the data to Tableau Server'. It will save a lot of time in the daily update process.  

Note: I am using Alteryx 11 and Tableau 10.1. Thank you very much.

Any python user will tell you that one of the reasons why python is so powerful is the ability to access values using their indexes. It would be great if alteryx had such a system in place too, where you can access values or loop over them using their index, which can then be applied in creating new columns or calculations. 

P.S - I know we can use the python tool but I would rather see this ability built in the formula tool.

Assisted modeling is a great idea but right now it's a bit unflexible.

IMHO the greatest strength is the semi-automated transform tool, which would extremely helpful on its own.

What would be great is the possibility of using the features without having to go through the assisted modeling wizard but as single tools with minimal configuration, so that it could be used as an automated system for quickly choosing variables.

This way we could have a pretty much perfect rapid prototyping tool for machine learning tasks, leaving more freedom in modeling and enabling less skilled analysts in easily finding on which variables they should focus.

What do you think?

It would be great to have variations of the Output Data Tool that are file format specific.  The current tool looks the same no matter the file format.  This can be confusing when your workflow outputs to 2 or more file formats.  You can add a label, but they take up space.  A visual cue would provide a quick and simple means to identify the format of the output tool.   A solution might be an icon for each specific file format, or just different color variations of the current icon that a user could assign.  

I love using the YXI installer for distributing custom macros; I have even used to install an entire palette of macros.  However, when installing to a new, user-defined palette, I still need to instruct users to copy custom_palette.png into C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\icons\categories.

It would be nifty keen if we could add custom_palette,png into the config.xml file and have the YXI installer place the file into the \icons\categories directory.

I imagine that some checks would need to be added, to ensure we weren't overwriting icons for the built in palettes.

I would like to request that IBM Big Insights become a supported data source. Currently I have been unable to connect Alteryx Designer to Big Insights through any ODBC driver.

In case of system crash/ upgrade, transfer of Alteryx license from one system to another system or from one user to another. User should be able to surrender/ borrow/ transfer license from one machine to another. This helps for more flexible use of product.

Hello Alteryx Team,

It would be great to have the possibility to output joined and unjoined records in the 'Join Multiple' tool into 2 separate output achors. Another possibility would be to have a switch in the tool's configuration to 'Only output records that did not join'.

The idea behind this is that sometimes you need to work only with the 'problematic' records that are not present in all of the inputs and it would be great to have an easy way how to get to them. I am aware that this can be done with a Filter tool after the Join Multiple but it would be nice to have this feature directly in the tool.

Thank you very much for considering this idea.

Regards,

Jan Laznicka

Top Liked Authors