community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!

1 Review

Our submission guidelines & status definitions before getting started

2 Search

The community for a solution or existing idea before posting

3 Vote

By clicking the like in the top left corner of an idea you support

4 Submit

A new idea to suggest a product enhancement or new feature

Suggest an idea
0 Likes

The #bandofsolvers community has come up with many creative ways to determine if an 'output' action is complete before proceeding with next steps. However, what we really need is an optional output anchor added to (all?) tools in this class.

For example, currently if we need to Output Data to the same file 3 times, we have to put logic in place to make sure that the 3 updates happen in the correct sequence and do not interfere with each other. Or if we need to Render a file and perform additional modifications or file actions on that new file (e.g. ACL using icacls), we have to put checks in place to wait for the render to complete and make sure the file is freed by the write step.

However, if we could have at minimum an optional output anchor pass a Boolean flag indicating the 'output' class tool is complete, that would help tremendously! Even more helpful would be a xml/json object containing the tool configuration. Additionally, data/metadata 'pass-through' could be helpful in some situations as well.

I understand that this simple request could be significant change to the structure of the program, but throwing it out there for the 'Idea' space! 🙂

As well as using keyboard shortcuts, many of us are using a mouse / keyboard with program specific assignable shortcut buttons. It is a serious boost to productivity. The ability to instantly enable / disable would be a great tool large complex workflows. In general, it would be great to expand the keyboard shortcuts to offer more Alteryx specific advanced functions.

It would be incredible helpful if Alteryx canvases auto-populated some metadata about each canvas to track its origination and updates.

The metadata fields I'm specifically thinking about are:

-Author

-Date Created

-Date Last Updated

Add a new feature to develop your own customized decision tree with Insight. So instead of using a tree generated with the Decision Tree tool a user can generate a tree with custom splits and save  the splitting rules as a model to score later a new dataset. This will provide user the ability to enhace a tree with business knowledge.

0 Likes

The add to / remove from container behavior needs to be modified.  I have frequently had the application completely rearrange my workflow because of it. I was just deleting a handful of closed containers when the application removed all my tools from their individual containers and wrapped everything in one big container completely screwing up my entire workflow.  This happens a lot.  Now I have to reorganize the workflow.  This is one of my biggest frustrations with the application.containers.png

0 Likes

Hi,

It would be very useful if I could delete/remove fields while using the tool Join - manual configure fields directly instead of adding a "Select" tool next.

0 Likes

Hi,

It would be very useful for me If I could consolidate in the same output two different inputs: 1- the whole output flow; 2- The summarize from the output. That would save some time from doing pivot table analysis for instance. 

Thanks

Hi

It will be great to make visibility of workflow execution results to other users in same subscription.

As of now, only schedules are visible to all users in a subscription, but not the workflow execution results executed by a user to other users in same subscription. 

This will avoid duplicate execution of same workflow by multiple user in a team as it will provide option to cross check the execution results by other users, if executed already, before execution of same workflow.

Regards

Haribabu Muppaneni

I appreciate being able to write to an ESRI File GeoDatabase. It would be even better if in the process of writing to an ESRI File GeoDatabase I could identify fields to index and have them indexed when writing to the File GeoDatabse. Currently I have to add the index in ArcGIS after the fact. Writing to an ESRI File GeoDatabase currently adds a spatial index automatically, but I'm talking about an attribute index here.

0 Likes

Alteryx could have a way to, in select tool, choose the type of string field as numeric changing between comma or dot the separators without the needing of formula tool for that.

The drop-down interface tool currently allows you to allow the user to select field names from a connected tool.

However, a very common use case is not currently supported - select VALUES from a connected too (i.e. the values in a specific column).

There are several workarounds (including chaining the app and using an alteryx DB or transposing values into fields) - however given how common this need is, it seems to be valuable to support this directly.

Annotation 2019-09-23 191348.pngAnnotation 2019-09-23 192245.png

cc: @mbarone  @Claje @JPoz 

In the newer versions of Alteryx - if you open up a canvas that was created in a newer version, alteryx offers to auto-fix this by opening the canvas anyway.

However if that canvas includes custom macros - these macros are not imported if they are a newer version.

Please could you extend the Newer Version process to include macros used on a canvas, and attempt to import these too?

Thank you

Sean

cc: @mbarone  @Claje @JPoz 

I have been developing and accumulating custom functions over the years and they have proved to be very useful.  I am submitting these here.  I hope they are found to be beneficial.

Functions included in the attached file include:

• DateTime
    • StandardDate(String) - Transforms any valid string to the standard date format yyyy-mm-dd
  • File
    • FileDirDepth(Path) - Returns the zero based depth of the path (zero being the root)
    • FileGetFolder(Path, Depth) - Returns the folder name given the zero based depth in the path (zero being the root)
  • String
    • LeftPart(String, Separator) - Returns the left part of a string up to the first separator
    • RightPart(String, Separator) - Returns the right part of a string after the first separator
    • Split(String, Delimiter, Index) - Returns the zero indexed part of a delimited string
    • CleanSpace(String) - Trims string and replaces multiple spaces with a single space
    • UnicodeToASCIIBasic(String) - Replaces all Unicode Characters with ASCII Basic equivalents
  • Test
    • InList(Variable, List) - If Variable is in List returns True. List must be pipe delimited
    • IsValidEmail(String) - Returns True if string is a valid email format
    • IsUUID(String) - Returns True if string is a valid UUID

To make these functions available in Alteryx, place the attached xml file in the folder C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn if you have a standard installation. If the install is non-standard, find the \bin\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn folder and place the attached xml file there.  Ateryx will need a restart for the functions to be available.

0 Likes

One of the issues I've recently ran into, and discussed with my Customer Success Manager, is Alteryx's inability to natively connect to Snowflake for In-DB Processing using Snowflake's latest ODBC driver versions.

As noted in the Alteryx Help Page below, Alteryx has only been validated to natively support ODBC driver version 2.13.06.00.

https://help.alteryx.com/2018.3/DataSources/Snowflake.htm

As noted per my Alteryx Community ticket below, the Technology Platform team at my company has informed me that they cannot revert our existing Snowflake driver version (Version 2.17.0) to an older version.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Snowflake-In-DB-Processing-on-Alteryx-...

As such, when will Snowflake In-DB Connection be compatible with at least the above ODBC driver version?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes

If an organisation wants many Designer users to have the same macros available to them, they have to set up their own network drive to save the macros to and share that drive to all users and ensure each user has read access to it and then maps that drive to their macros. 

Instead of relying on this shared drive architecture, macro builders should be able to publish their macros to a collection in Gallery and then end users should be able to map that collection to their Macros in Designer.

It would keep the sharing of macros within the Alteryx platform and make sharing macros much more intuitive and frictionless.

0 Likes

Similar to previous ideas from @patrick_mcauliffe and @shailesh_patel - would like to request 2 things:

Default on Folder Picker Interface tool

The folder picker tool does not currently allow a default value - this unnecessarily adds work if users have the same value 90% of the time.

Please add a field for the default value that will show when the interface starts up

Annotation 2019-09-20 074835.png

Similar ideas:

- Default on Date interface: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Default-Date-for-Interface-Tool/idi-p/35770

- Default on File Selector: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Default-file-location-in-file-broswer-Interf...

Hi Team,

Alteryx designer to integration with VSTS/ GitHub to have multiple resources working on same workflow.

In current scenario we are facing issue if we have two developer that need to work on complex workflow and need to complete in short timeline.

Please have a thought around to see if there is any faster option to integrate.

Thanks In Advance.

0 Likes

Hello gurus - 

Pretty much every coding framework supports this.  If we really want Alteryx to embrace no-code, we've got to have some ability to control commit / rollbacks across transactions.  As it stands currently, it is pretty easy to write out parent records, fail to be able to write out children, and wind up with a database state that makes the end users very sad.  

Thanks!

brian

0 Likes

Hello AlteryxDevs - 

Back when I used to do more coding, some of the ORMs had the ability to return back to you a natively generated primary key for new rows created; this could be really useful in situations wherein you wanted / needed to create a parent / child relationship or needed to pass the value back to another process for some reason.  

As it stands now, the mechanism to achieve this in Alteryx is kind of clunky; all I have been able to figure out is the following:

1) Block until done 1.

1a) Create parent record. Hopefully it has an identifying characteristic that can be attached to. 

2) Block until done 2.  

2a) Use a dynamic select to go get the parent record and get the id generated by the database. 

3) Block until done 3. 

3a) Append your primary key found in 2a.  Create your children records. 

I mean it works.  But it is clunky, not graceful, and does not give you any control over the transaction, though that is kind of a more complicated feature request. 

Thanks!

Hey Alteryx,

Would it be possible for comment defaults to be "send to back"?

I use comments everywhere in my workflows and it's painful having to right click on each one and "send to back"

Ta

Top Liked Authors