The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

I often encounter situations where I would love to be able to use the tool container name as a constant within my workflow. This would be a huge time savor for me as I use containers often to segment my work and those segments often have a meaningful purpose within my workflow. Having the ability to use the name for decision making or as a file prefix/suffix would be a great enhancement 

0 Likes

I think this was brought up a few years back but why doesn't the Union config by name  option have a field map? It would stop that feeling you get when you browse your workflow after a union tool and find a column which is 5% blank and 95% full sitting next to one with a slightly different name which is 95% blank and 5% full.

0 Likes

Hi,

Can we get this list updated?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Video-Training-Index/td-p/45161

I think it is one of the most interesting sources of knowledge on Alteryx community but unfortunately, it wasn't updated for the last year. 

It is possible that new sessions will be added here?

0 Likes

I would like to get a full legend overlay when hovering over the bubble (see example in power BI).

ClementMorlie_1-1614767364195.png

0 Likes

The new versions of Alteryx the red "change color" has gone to yellow which is almost impossible to see with a big and bright monitor.

PLEASE change it back to the normal red background color!

gul.PNG

0 Likes

Right now when user share a screenshot of the workflow, we can't see the setting. I would like to be able to save workflow as code (JSON or YML), so people can read the config for each tool in the text file. 
It also easier to do version control as well as quick editing some workflow without open Alteryx Designer.

It also help new user to learn the tool easier. When they see the workflow and the text that describe the config, they can understand it without the need to open Designer -> they can read about questions and answers on the forum using phone and tablet.

0 Likes

I would like to lasso or select multiple tools and have a count of selected tools. Perhaps this count could be in a tool tip or somewhere else.

0 Likes

I would like to propose an idea for the evolution of INPUT TOOLS and OUTPUT TOOLS in relation to their compatibility with DATA CONNECTIONS configured in Settings ALTERYX.

Indeed, it is now possible to create a Data Connection of SQL Bulk Loader (SSVB) type and to use this DATA CONNECTION in an Input Tool. The configuration is possible (Choose the table, the query ...), when you run the Workflows it works and you get the data well.

On the other hand, when we try to click again on the INPUT Tools, there is an error message and we cannot retrieve the contained request because the File Format is unknown.

After analysis with the support, there is a compatibility problem between SSVB and INPUT Tools in ALTERYX because there is no support for SSVB in INPUT in ALTERYX but it is supported in OUTPUT Tool.

My proposal would therefore be that there be a validation made during the configuration of the INPUT Tool and the Output Tool between the DATA Connection chosen and the type of tool used.

Thnaks for your return.

Regards,

Psyrio

0 Likes

Often I want to output an Excel-file with a dynamic filename, e.g. part of the filename is from a date field in my data set.

E.g. before the output tool I could add a column with "Filename" and use that in the output-tool (including path).

The tool default could be to use the first record as reference, but if the Filepath differs in each record,

there should be an option to output as many files.

0 Likes

Looking for a way to make multi-selection much easier (rather than single click per item).  Could be an improvement on the List Box, or a new tool that allows multi-selection with highlighting desired items.  Control/Shift keys for selections similar to Windows, etc.

0 Likes

It would be helpful to be able to toggle the way the Mode calculation handles two or more "ties." Currently if there is a tie between records, the lower is returned. I have a use case where I would rather have the higher value return if there is a tie. I could also see there being a use for an average between the tied records. Ideally I think there would be three options for a tie: use the 1. lowest value 2. highest value 3. average of tied values. I'm not sure if first/last would also be helpful to have as options.

My use case is for product dimensions. We use the mode to normalize the dimensions (height, width, depth) of products. Because we are using the dimensions for space planning, if the lower value is used there may not be enough space for the product on the shelf. We would rather use the higher of the tied values to make sure we aren't creating a plan where the products won't fit.

0 Likes

I guess it's better if the current column filter feature would cover the entire data set not just the partial results. This would be useful especially if after you run the complicated workflow and you just want to test the data particular nodes in the canvass. 

0 Likes

Essentially my idea is to add a connection similar to an optional Macro Control Parameter to the standard Input and Output tools that would respond to a basic formula result like "True" / "False" so that we can conditionally toggle on and off the Import and Export Tool itself within a workflow. This would solve the Alteryx problem of conditionally disabling Inputs and Outputs to avoid output errors, avoid input / output timing errors under different record # loads or when no data is present in a given routing configuration, add a ton more flexibility for complex workflows and reduce runtimes.

Ideally this approach could also be used for entire containers to actually disable all of the contained Inputs/Outputs at once within a standard non-macro workbook.

0 Likes

Allow the direct entry of the test start date into the AB Trend tool rather than forcing the use of a calendar widget to select the date. Or at least make the calendar display the date that was set rather then the current month. 

treepruner_0-1607224843034.png

It would also be useful to edit the sample workflow for this tool , sample 21_AB_Trend_Controls_Analysis_Sample.yxmd, to add annotations to each tool to  describe what the settings are in the example as well as to add more specific detail to the workflow description.

0 Likes

Please consider having the supported connection to Splunk as the Generic ODBC driver method is not working.

0 Likes

Hi there,

I was hoping that there could be an update to track changes in workflows more dynamically like on other coding and saving platforms such as git and java. There are systems that will highlight an area where a change has been made from one version to another. This would be very beneficial for users that use the alteryx server to be able to load any historical workflow and when it opens in the canvas, lets say a macro has been changed from one version to the other, that macro would glow red to know there was a change here so coders can see what was changed if there is now an error or if they are not completely sure what was changed without just relying on comments.

Thanks!

-Jacob

0 Likes

It really would be great if Alteryx supports the 'set' data type.

I often have situations where I really wish I could make a field with a data type of "set".

For example, I have a table of pets owned by each person.

The "Pets" Field would be perfect if it could be processed as a "set" type.

PersonPets
JohnDog, Cat
SusanFish

(I sort the pet values in alphabetical order, and concatenate the string values using the summarize tool. This is the best I could think of)

0 Likes

Hi Team,

I have an idea where we can use Alteryx to build a virtual Assistant. As we are currently using Intelligent suite extract information through pdfs. Now we can connect the VA and Intelligent suite to offer a complete product.

Please let us know your views,

0 Likes

Today the Autofield tool transforms the fields into byte by default when it considers that the content is suitable while we expect text in it and that it can simply be a field not filled in in the context current but which may be later.

The idea would be to be able to choose which type by default to implement on text or empty fields and not the default byte because a byte field is not recognized on a formula using an IN for example which can produce errors in the following workflows.

0 Likes

Hello,

My idea is that the current Download tool does not handle errors and continues its path even if it does not find for example a file in the transmitted URL or if it does not find the hostname it crashes.

In the case of a user with several URLs in a row, this is penalizing.

In the case of downloading files with recording, it still writes a file (thus overwriting the existing file) but which is not openable and is not in the correct format. (BLOCKED file!) Which then causes problems in workflows reading these files.

The idea would be to put a second output to this tool for all the URLs where there was a problem (non-existent hostname, file not found, HTTP KO) and one where it received the expected elements so as not to prejudice the processing. and allow better management of error cases.

Regards,

Bruno

Top Liked Authors