The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

Hi Team,

Is there a possibility of a Alteryx Public Designer similar to Tableau Public software?

Regards,

Diptesh

I'm a long time user of Photoshop and it would be great to get some similar zooming and panning functionality into Alteryx.  Such as:

- hold down the "space bar" see a hand and pan across the canvas.
- hold down "CTRL" or "ALT and zoom on the canvas
- use the mouse scroll to zoom on the canvas

I love the basic data profiling that is now available in the Browse tool. I used to rely more on the browse everywhere feature and only used the current Browse tool at the end of my workflows. Now with the data profiling capability, I am using a lot of Browse tools for in-line analytics while I am developing workflows, but they cause an overwhelming amount of clutter! To  help ease this clutter, I use containers to hide/disable them, and I usually delete most of them when I am done developing each part of a workflow.

I'd live to have a mini browse tool with a small icon that includes the basic data profiling functionality present in the current Browse tool. I would also like to have the option to disable all 'mini Browse' tools without disabling all of the Browse tools. 

I would like to suggest adding in additional options to the Output tool for running VBA code after inserts finish.

Similar to how the "7 Post Create SQL Statement" works for "ODBC" or "Oracle" Connections, having this option for excel would be game changing.

Our current processes rely on us calling a .vbs script, or manually formatting our output.

My job of automation would be significantly easier if this was an option.

Getting deliverable ready in an easy to digest format is key.

Here are a few things that I feel would be useful enhancements for the stacked column chart:

1. In series styles, replace current "Label Data Points" Yes/No dropdown options with "No/Top/Bottom/Left Side/Right Side/Alternating Sides" options to allow label text to fall above the line marking the top of the set (current implementation), below the top line, to the left or right or alternating between left and right.  Side labels reduce the need for #3 below and alternating side labels partially mitigate the need for #2.

2. If "Label Data Points" is turned on, allow an option to set a minimum threshold to display the labels.  In the current implementation the data point labels are placed on top of each other in cases where series with comparatively high volume are mixed with series with very low volume unless there is only one low volume series and it happens to be the last series in the set.  With alternating side labels from #1 above this would only be an issue if more than one consecutive low volume series was displayed.

3. Lighten default series colors or change default text color to white.  Black label text does not stand out or is unreadable against most of the default colors (dark blue, dark brown, etc.).

Currently Atleryx just takes a flat file and create a Tableau Extract (.tde) file.  I would like to be able to to take two files and cube them together like Tableau allows me to use when I create my own Tableau Extract using Tableau.  Right now I have to export two different files into excel files and then use Tableau to cube them and create an extract that gives me more power and functionality than the extract that Alteryx provides.

I think Alteryx needs to first determine if the output file if there (if it's supposed to be) or not there (if it's not supposed to be) vs running for X number of mins and then coming back with an error message that the file doesn't exist or already exists - depending on your setting for output.   It should ping all input and all output files and determine if an error will occur there before running the workflow.  IMHO.

In regards to the little ALTERYX box that pops up every time I run my YXWZ file..

This is COMPLETELY ANNOYING!  I don't want to click the dang thing every time to close it.  It has ZERO VALUE.  I already know its ALTERYX.  SO LETS LOSE THIS WASTED STEP!  I have to run this many times when testing and for production, WHY DO I HAVE TO CLICK IT EVERY SINGLE TIME TO CLOSE IT!

I have a second suggestion... I tried to enter this suggestion, AND I KEEP GETTING A SNAFU because the IDEA LABELS feature in your submit tool.  LOSE IT or make it so I don't have to fill it in.  I get you want to somehow CATEGORIZE, but, if you can't come up with something useful, I am not a mind reader and I don't have time to sit here and figure out WHAT MIGHT BE THE MAGIC WORD that might be associated with my idea.  GIMME A BREAK!

Thanks

I suggest adding a piece wise linear regression tool to the predictive tool set.  Many times, modelers in the insurance business  (and others) like to play around with the model, i.e. placing knots/splines at multiple intervals then after seeing the results, changing where those knots are placed.  This gives the best fit based not only on mathematical technical knowledge but also domain/tribal knowledge, especially when training data sets are small.  

Currently, we have to try and develop our own model matched with a macro which changes the r-code.  To date, there has been no luck, but maybe the Alteryx excellent customer support would get the developers to do this for us and then...........we could finally bury SAS in the ground.

Our company got Alteryx server a few months ago, and we were surprised to find out that (at current setup) the members of my team can not collaborate on workflows published on our Server. 

What we would like to see  (How we envision being able to share workflows). 

With any published workflow on the server, be able to publish a workflow to a shared space and/or share owner permissions with or edit abilities to with another user. 

And

Allow another authorized user to download, edit, and update those workflows - keeping them current in someone's absence (Vacation or leave for a new job). 

Please build this functionality so we can get back to using Server instead of a shared folder on the network.

Thanks,

Randy

While Alteryx is processing it displays information in the module with record/file infromatoin.  Once processing is complete this information is gone, except for in the output window.  Could you add a key combination or button toggle to redisplay this info from the prior run.  It would be very helpful for debugging.

Hi,

Can the Log format be changed, so that each line starts with 

MM-DD-YYYY hh:mm:ss TZ.

This is to allow log monitoring applications to process the file correctly.

Thanks

Mike

Allow Workflow Dependencies to run other tools or workflow .

Would like a component to analyse an incoming dataset and suggest a key for the data, i.e. detect what field or composite of fields would uniquely identify a record in the data.  The key could then be detected by the output data component and add primary key's to tables when created.  Great for when using the drop and recreate option, i.e. would retain an index on the key.

I find myself cutting and pasting (rearranging steps) a lot.  Right click "move ahead" or "move upstream" would be great for shifting the order of filters and formulas and such.

We recently upgraded our SQL server to 2016 to enable us to use R Server for predictive analytics.  We were excited about the more powerful algorithms and the fact that parallel processing will make things faster on bigger data sets.  

We often use stepwise logistic regression, especially in cases where we need to show which attributes are most significant.  The one drawback about the upgrade was that stepwise is not available when running logistic regression in-database.  I know there are ways to get around this e.g. PC etc. but it would be nice to have the ability to do stepwise in-database.

I hope there are others like me that will vote this up.  I think it will help a lot of data scientists out there and is probably one of the easier suggestions :-).

We see very nice demos at the Alteryx Academy. Trainers showing some actions, tips and tricks on screens previously recorded...

Originally you need to install a software like;

Then learn how to use them and share separate video or moving GIF files with people manually by mail etc....

I suggest a screen recorder for Alteryx where you can quickly record and save how something is done

and then share it thru Peer to peer with a colleague one-on-one or publish to the Alteryx Community...

It may even be an awesome thing if one can share screen in real-time with another Alteryx user...

Then it will be top notch collaboration...

b505be16e5764190b507ef3f532af890

Best

Altan @Atabarezz

I will try to make this short but the back story is a bit long.

I was recently tasked with scraping a website requiring repeated call to the URL with about 10,000 different queries. Pushing all 10,000 at the Download tool caused intermittent DownloadData to be returned with HTML from what appeared to be a default fallback help page.  Not what I needed.  I suspected the site may have seen all the calls in rapid succession as a DDoS attack or something, so I put a Throttle tool in line to lessen the burden on their server.  It reduced the failed calls, but there was still more than I found acceptable, requiring pulling out the failed queries and repeating the same throttled processing.  Putting time between each record was what I needed.  And then I found this Wait/Pause Between Processing Records  Just what I needed.

Now the constructive criticism.  I hope I don't offend anybody.

The macro does the job using a simple ping statement inside a grouped batch macro, pinging until a selected time interval has passed.  It does this repeated pinging for every record.  That can add up to a lot of pings especially if the time interval is rather large and a lot of records are being processed.  Then DDoS popped into my head.  The same issue that led me to find this very solution.

So, I started thinking how could I accomplish this same wait between records and iterative macro seemed plausible, seeing that loops can be used in code to do this very thing.

I have attached the macro I came up with.  Feel free to check it out, critique the hell out of it, and/or used it if it will solve any problem you might have.  I only ask that you keep the macro intact and give credit where credit is deserved.

Thanks for your time,

Dan Kelly

In the question type "DropDown/ListBox", there's an option to use an external file. The file should be able to influence whether the record is selected or not. Maybe there's a reserved column name called "SELECTED" which could contain True/False values which the UI would key off.

I ❤️ Alteryx but sometimes I miss some of the abilities Tableau has to visualize the data output while designing.

When working with data containing many fields, I find myself changing the order of columns, running the workflow, and repeating... over and over until I get the right "look".

I know you can right-click and drag in the configuration pane of the select tool but I was thinking that it would be great if we could also do the same in the results pane and see the changes live.

Top Liked Authors