Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

In my environment, creating tables with fields in a particular order is a requirement.

The Select tool (and others) let me manually change sort orders. The Select tool will also allow me to sort on Field Name in Ascending or Descending order.

I can add a sort order prefix to my input data with the Dynamic Rename tool, connect a Select tool and then go into the Select tool properties to sort by Field Name. But this requires that I first run the module so that the Select tool knows what the incoming fields are called, then set up the Select tool properties, and then rerun the module. If I change the prefixes or the list of incoming variables, the Select tool has to be reconfigured.

It would be really nice if there was a Field Sort tool that only had Ascending or Descending as properties that would 'dynamically' do what the Sort on Field Name option in the Select tool does.

Our team works with a lot of in-house transaction data sets that have been put into a calgary database.  It would be much easier to build apps that use the calgary input tool without having to configure html code.

When reading and writing large data frames to/from a python script in Alteryx it seems that there are limitations to the SQLite component of the tool. Given that this selection is recommended only when the user is having issues in the python tool why is the option selected by default? A colleague and I spent a couple of hours trying to work through an issue with importing a data frame larger than 1000x1000 and once we found this option (SQLite override) and unchecked it the data was written back to Alteryx without any problems.

Hint provided by the tool, "This changes the intermediate data format between Alteryx and Jupyter from yxdb to SQLite. Use only if running into issues. See help for more details."

SQLite override is default selectionSQLite override is default selection

Error message provided by the tool

error message.PNG

After unchecking the option the workflow ran without any errors.

Recommendation: the python tool should default to SQLite override unchecked

When I checked out if there is a way to force the intercept to 0 or some other constant value, it's not doable from the tool configurations.

Linear Regression.png

So manually we can have "0" intercept in linear regression this way (edit the macro's R tool)

cars.lm <- lm(dist ~ speed, data = cars)
cars.lm2 <- lm(dist ~ 0 + speed, data = cars) 
summary(cars.lm)

# Adding the 0 term tells the lm() to fit the line through the origin

So a minor addition of a tickbox will solve that and make that linear regression tool more flexible i guess...

Best...  

By being able to connect to views in BQ we'd be able to skip the dependency on scheduling table refreshes within BQ and keep all of the dependencies in Alteryx.

For example, in the Properties tool (I say that generally because it could be in more than one place in that tool) all the user to enable to visibly see the path of the variable in the flow on the canvas.  As shown in the mock-up image below (as crude as it is, I think you get the idea).  This would allow you to trace the path forward and backwards in the flow, seeing where the variable entered and when it exited.  This could be something you can turn on and off like the grid option.

Right now we can only change the alteryx log folder but not the log file name. If we can change the log file name , it will be great because that gives us the ability to parse certain logs and check for errors/issues and send out emails accordingly.

Looking forward for the addition of in-database tools for SybaseIQ or SAP IQ

Please star that idea so Alteryx product management can prioritize this request accordingly...

Note on SAPIQ;

• SAP IQ is a database server optimized for analytics/BI, it is a columnar RDBMS optimized for Big Data analytics
  • IQ is very good for ad-hoc queries that would be difficult to optimize in a legacy transactional RDBMS...
  • It's ranked number 48th amongst all DBMS and 27th amongst relational DBMS
  • SAP IQ16 has gained R language support

currently we can connect with ODBC, http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Sources/sap-sybase-iq-ODBC/m-p/9716/highlight/true#M700

When tools are closely aligned 

Rownum and data size cross with other tools.

I would suggest dynamically locating the information sometimes on top or under the tool instead...

Picture2.png

Hi!
I have Ubuntu 16.04 and a good web developing exrierience.
Moving closer to DataMining and Data Analysis tasks I think this interesting app - Alteryx - should be used not only on Windows, but on Ubuntu/Debian as well.

Downloaded Alteryx file /home/Downloads/AlteryxNonAdminInstall_1_96f6543d8dc5f291.exe does not start (open) on Ubuntu.
There is a message:
"An error occurred while loading the archive."
OR
"Invalid url:AlteryxNonAdminInstall_1_96f6543d8dc5f291.exe given, exiting
No ':' in the uri"

I used 
sudo apt-get update -done
and some other Ubuntu attempts, but still no result..

I think it should be done ASAP.

Thank you

P.S. Also, why *.png files are not accepted as valid attachments files extension? I can not attach an ordinary screenshot... ((

In the in-db join, add the possibility to make left-except or right-except join in addition to the 4 available options.

When using the SQL output "delete and append" option, I noticed that this is not transactional. I.e. it deletes the data first, then inserts the new data. If an issue happens which prevents the new data insert from happening, then you have lost all the data in the table but it hasn't been replaced by anything new.

I tested this by revoking insert permissions from the login I was using - the insert failed, but the delete had already occurred. This could also occur if there was a network error or connection drop in the middle of the execution.

I use delete and append because the replace if new option is unutterably slow (takes about 5 minutes to complete on ~3000 rows, instead of 0.5 seconds)

I think the delete and append  option should either be enclosed in an explicit transaction, or a combination of temp tables and copying  should be employed. This behaviour could maybe be offered as an option in case of extremely large datasets.

Would love for the text areas in the configuration window to allow for a Find/Replace text search. Especially useful if you have long/nested/complex calcs that reference the same field multiple times and then you change that field's name or want to replicate the same formula for another field.

Hi - think it would be great to have to open only one debug window, and where I add to my workflow, the debug automatically updates to include the new features of my workflow.

As it is now, I believe that I have to open a new Debug window where I have added new components to my workflow. 

@RachelW 

I wanted to suggest unhiding select/deselect all in the Options menu for the "select tool".
There is enough space in the header right of "Options" to include select all/deselect checkboxes. or remove the Tip.

Select all/deselect is suppose to reduce clicks. By hiding in Options, it adds clicks. 

Select ALL.JPG

Switch origin idea.JPG

It would be great if Alteryx created a program along the lines of Tableau Reader. If an organization is not at the point where they want to deploy Alteryx Server, but some people need to run Alteryx Apps, making a low cost desktop application that would allow users to open and run .yxwz files would be great. There are many non technical users who don't need and would not use the full version of Alteryx, but creating a desktop application allowing them to run .yzwz files would be helpful to them and would drive Alteryx adoption. 

This is the most minor of annoyances, but it would be great if I could copy and paste color hex values between containers, comments, etc. The system color dialog doesn't have that, so maybe if the color boxes in the configuration pane were directly editable, or something like that. If I'm changing the colors for multiple containers, it's kind of a pain that I have to select the R, G, and B values manually. 

Request to enhance the Snowflake bulk loader upload tool to allow output to be saved on s3 bucket subfolders not only on the root foldersnowflakebulk.PNG

When using the Write Data In-DB component from the In-Database tools, after the insert or update is complete the default behaviour is that the component does a select * from the table.  So if inserting into dbo.customer, once the transaction is complete, the component does a select * from customer.  This behaviour is really useful in some circumstances, e.g. creating reference data then returning all data so you can join back into the workflow, but can also really destroy performance.  Imagine if dbo.customer contains billions of rows.  Of course there are ways of restricting the data that is returned to the workflow, (e.g. use the sample tool), but the query is still executed in the DB.  Therefore my suggestion is to make output configurable.  Would be useful to have a four option output, either:

(1) zero row output (i.e. metadata only),

(2) successful transaction flag & error message if applicable,

(3) count of rows effected, for some DBs you can get this by default (MS SQL Server), or

(4) select * from table, as is now.

Thanks, nick

Top Liked Authors