Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

Option to select start and end time per day

e.g. between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM every 2 hours

Would like to see more connection options than Oracle and SQL Server as the connection string through Other can be problematic and difficult to configure for certain connections. connectionstrings.com does not necessarily reflect the connection string that the Alteryx Service is using or would authenticate. Alternatively, have a mechanism for a user to generate the connection string of any input tool they have configured (older versions of Alteryx did this but now they use odbc aliases by default).

When Alteryx Designer detects an existing 32-bit Oracle driver on a user's machine, it displays an error message saying  that it requires a 64-bit driver.  If there is no driver at all installed, it will go ahead and install one. 

Can we get Alteryx to simply prompt the user to install the 64-bit driver instead of the 32-bit driver present error message? 

(I know they can co-exist since removing the 32-bit driver will cause Alteryx to install its own 64-bit driver after which one can re-install the 32-bit driver.)

Thanks!

D

I have several modules that need to run in sequence.   Can a ksh or some other program be used to string the modules together?  

So that if I have Step1.yxmd, Step2.yxmd and Step3.yxmd.  2 is dependent on 1, 3 is dependent on 2.  I want to tell it the jobs to run and then to wait until that module completes, then run the next.  

run Step1.yxmd
Wait

run Step2.yxmd
Wait

run Step3.yxmd
Wait

Or, if I have a group of modules that can run concurrently but subsequent jobs are dependent on all of them to finish, i can let all those jobs run and have the next step wait for those to complete to begin.  

run Step1A.yxmd
run Step1B.yxmd
run Step1C.yxmd
run Step1D.yxmd
Wait

run Step2.yxmd
Wait

run Step3.yxmd
Wait

I know this is very simplistic, but hoping it shows the need.  Also, we do have the scheduler set up to use, so if there is a way to set dependencies between modules within Scheduler, that might be helpful.  Just haven't found anything.  

Thanks!

I want the ability to select a field from my reference YXDB file in the Map Input tool to color-code the features based on their value. For example, I have a file of store locations, with each record containing last quarter's sales figures. I want to use that file as my reference in the Map Input, and have the points for each stores sized bigger-to-smaller based on their sales. Or another example would be color-coding sales territories/polygons.

Disabled Containers throw errors if it contains any interface tools. It should not throw any error as the user is intentionally disabling the container.  

clipboard_image_0.png

It seems Alteryx does not have option to add metadata while adding the S3 object using S3 data connector. It has to be done using REST API calls via download tool or via javascript tool. As S3 is widely used now to store large files it would be handy to be add the functionality to add or extract metadata via S3 connectors.

It will also be useful if S3 connectors accept a field name in the object name instead of hardcoding the name or path.

When we copy and paste a tool into a workflow, we then have to drag the pasted tool into the workfow where we want it. It would be better if we could right click on a connector, select "paste", and have the tool paste into the flow where we put the cursor. Or to be able to right-click on a tool and select "paste after" similar to how we can "insert after".

When working with complex modules, it would be great to allow an option to add a tool upstream and automatically rewire to downstreams tools.

Simplified example:

Text Input flows to (1) Filter and (2) Formulae Tool. If I want to drag and drop a Formulae Icon after the text input to be applied to both paths, I can't. I have to either choose To apply to Path (1) or to Path (2).

I know that you can right click, press insert after, and search for the tool, but this is not a time efficient manner.  You can also delete the wiring and rewire yourself, but if you have mutliple downstream tools, this is a pain.

You should at least have the option to output datetime in a datetime datatype from the DateTimeNow component.  Currently it outputs a string so you have to use another component to parse the datetime to datetime datatype.

The current Power BI Connector can only be used to publish to Power BI in the cloud but not to a local Power BI server. I would like to suggest the idea to improve this connector and configure it in a similar way to the Publish to Tableau Server Connector. The connector should allow to publish to a local url. See attachment.

I would love the ability to double click a un-named tab and rename it for 'temp' workflows.

eg - "New Workflow*" to "working on macro update"... 

Reason:

1. when designer crashes it is a huge pain to go through auto saves with "New Workflow*" names to find the one you need
  2. I work on a lot of projects at once and pull bits of code out and work on small subset and then get destracted and have to move over to another project. With mulitpule windows and tabs open it gets confusing with 10 'new worflow' tabs open.
  3. Allows for better orginaization of open tabs - can drag tabs into groups and in order to know where to start from last time.

Currently the Throttle Tool allows control to a number of calls per minute. Some APIs include a limit to the calls per hour and a combination of throttles. I would love to see the option to choose the number of calls per hours and have 2 limit controls (eg 100calls per minute and 100calls per hour)

Hi,

I know that @MarqueeCrew had an idea for Auto-UNC which was "Not Planned" last year, https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Auto-UNC-when-saving/idi-p/194681, but what about a simple flag/pop-up to let users know when they hit "save" or "save as" that there are relative paths being used in the workflow (Perhaps even indicate any/all tools that they appear) and closes out the upload without closing out the workflow.

I don't see a solution out there for this, but if it exists and I am just a bonehead, please feel free to delete this thread.  🙂

Thanks

Dan

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Sources/Loading-MDF-File/m-p/55264#M3640

It would be great to have the possibility to load .mdf files.

I commonly find myself in this situation and its hard to imagine that I'm the only one:

Let's say that I have a Text Input tool which feeds to various other tools across the canvas.  Some are near, some are far; but the point is that there are more than one of them.

Even though I've been using this workflow a while, one of the data sources downstream changed and now I need to change the field type or do some other sort of cleansing on the text I'm feeding in.  
What do you normally do when you need to add a tool inline, but the connections run to several points on the page?

Normally I'd start adding Select tools to each of the connections.

But wouldn't it be efficient if I could just right click on the tool and select an option like "Add a tool inline"? 

It would work sort of like when you right click on the canvas to add a tool; but it would put the new tool in the place where the current one is and just move the tool you clicked on behind the newly added tool.  No more adding multiple Select tools and re-connecting each stream.

It's really great that you guys have such clear communication about updates to the third party data, like CASS. 

But, would you consider sending out those update emails to just the contact person for an organization?

We are trying to keep all of our users in sync on the same versions of CASS and US Data; and the email blasts have caused some confusion.  Not to mention too that our IT security policy is to not download zips/exe's from the web.  We have a centralized way to bring it in, prep the download, and make available all at once to keep everyone up to date.

Currently when I open and run an app in designer mode im unable to access any other modules while it runs.  It would be nice to be able to work on other modules while an app runs without opening a debug.

It would be nice to have the ability to double click the top area of a container to either show or hide the container's objects. Only being able to show or hide containers using the arrow icon in the top right is quite cumbersome for large containers because it requires a lot of horizontal scrolling in order to change the desired view of the modules workflow.

Would like to see a conversion function that will deliver a Date value when the day, month and year values are in separate fields:

ToDate([Year],[Month],[Day])

It would be ideal if the input values could be either string or numeric.

Top Liked Authors