Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

When a user adds a column in the Formula tool, show the data type directly underneath the column name, not below the expression. It's important for the user to set the data type and then build the expression. Otherwise, the user neglects to and then minutes or hours later sees strange behaviour as a result of having the default V_WString. Make the data type prominent because it is important and part of the metadata.

Would be nice to select a bunch of consecutive fields, and cut them and paste them to a different area.  Currently, the only options are to Move to Top or Move to Bottom.  If you want to move somewhere in between, you have to scroll through the whole list.

hello,

Recently I used the optimization tool and it's awesome. However, there is no option for sensitivity analysis and It would be great to see it in a future version. Thank you!

King regards,

It would be great if Tool Container margins were adjusted so tools inside could snap to the grid perfectly. Right now they are just a pixel or so off and it creates slight crooks in connectors. (Minor I know, but it would go a long way to make canvases look clean)

Example:

grid snap.PNG

In Salesforce Input Tool, when your salesforce password changes, changing your credentials again erases the previous information in the input tool.
I want the table and item settings to be retained as in v3.1 when changing credentials

Currently working through an assignment on the Udacity Nano-degree related to A/B testing (thank you for the great course content @PatrickN ) 

Unfortunately - when using the AB testing tools for the first time, I encountered several cryptic error messages.   

This request is not to help diagnose this error message, but rather to wrap these error messages in a way that gives users some useful info so that they can solve this problem themselves.

As you can see from the error message below - the error provided does not give the user any hints on how to go about fixing the problem.

I've attached the workflow with embedded data so this should be replicatable

2017-10-22_15-25-09.png2017-10-22_15-26-27.png

When choosing "In List" values in a CYDB input, the normal Windows functions do not work (shift+click, ctl+A, ctl+click, etc.).

When having to choose, say, 20 values, it is a big annoyance to have to click each value (20 clicks). 

Have been told this is a bug so I wanted to put it on your radar for a fix.

have an option to create output table when no records exist

There's a common need to perform the same function on many fields, where you want to bring in data from a secondary field which is defined by the current column name.

So - for example:

Input:

• Prod1UnitWeight: 10
  • Prod1Qty: 10
  • Prod2UnitWeight:15
  • Prod2Qty: 1

Output

• Prod1TotalWeight: 100
  • Prod2TotalWeight: 15

So it would be useful to be able to have an indirect function where you can create a string which contains the field you want to use; and then indirect to it.

For example: 

• Multi-field formula on Prod1Qty; and ProdQty
  • CreateNewField Prod1TotalWeight
  • [_CurrentField_] + indirect(replace([_currentFieldName_],"Qty","UnitWeight")
  • which would resolve to prod1Qty * indirect("Prod1UnitWeight")

2017-10-09_9-57-08.png

HI!  Love Alteryx.  I have a parameterized macro output tool that has 16 parameters linked to as many fields from my batch file.  The number of parameters is high enough that I have a scroll bar on the on the Config window. 

kurtwz_0-1582827648866.png

Just out of habit I use the scroll wheel to scroll to the bottom, but by doing so completely blow out the config of the fields-to-parameters mapping because you can use the scroll wheel to also change the fields that are linked to the parameter.  Then I have to go through all the parameters to set them back to the way they were before, which is tedious.  I would like the macro tool to only change the field-to-parameter mapping by clicking, not by scrolling the wheel.  That will keep from a bunch of setting and resetting of the parameters.

Thanks, Kurt

Given redshift prefers accepting many small files for bulk loading into redshift, it would be good to be able to have a max record limit within the s3 upload tool (similar to functionality for s3 download)

The other functionality that is useful for the s3 upload tool is ability to append file names based on datetimestamp_001, 002, 003 etc similar to current output tool

As per this discussion, I'd like to create constants that stay with me as I create new workflows rather than creating a user constant across multiple workflows.

This could perhaps be done by editing an xml file in the bin.

Hello all,

As Intelligence Suite is a great expansion in Alteryx Designer, it would be great to expand the data types in the "Text Mining" and "Computer Vision" ribbon. The "Image Template" accepts only "strings" data types and specific Languages. It would be great to be added more data types, Language and ISO-Codes. 

I don't believe there is a way to add a pattern/texture to a bar chart created in the Interactive Charting tool. This feature would enhance the accessibility of the charts created natively out of Alteryx.

Example from Plotly: https://plotly.com/python/pattern-hatching-texture/

I am finding that I often need to use a union tool after a join to capture the entire data set I am trying to isolate. It isn't a huge deal but it does happen often enough that it seems worthwhile to consider more options to customize the join type. For example- it would be helpful to be able to configure the Join tool itself to specify a left inner or left outer join instead of needing to Union the L and J anchors afterward.  

I think it would be great to add metadata to a yxdb. For example, I was back tracking and trying to figure out which module/app I used to create an old yxdb. Now I use Notepad++ and do a "Find In Files" Search. Wouldn't it be great it the module path would be available when you look at the properties of a yxdb in Alteryx?

Would be nice if could use something like $Field rather than repeating the field name in the Condition and Loop expression within the Generate Rows tool

It would be extremely helpful to add in a "Count Distinct" function into the summarize tool.  This would help tremendously when working with hierarchical data.

As you know, Developers and Analysts are very picky when it comes to their UI preferences. Regardless of their preferences, providing the option to change these settings is the KEY.

Currently, in the latest version, under the Edit User Settings menu option, there is no way to change the dark background colour of the Menu palette which comes by default with the new version. Give us the ability to customize this please.

Dark_Background_Color.jpg

Thanks!

Hi there,

The select tool writes a different configuration to the underlying XML file for the Alteryx flow depending on whether the "Unknown" value is selected.

• if unknown is true:
    • Only fields that are deselected (or renamed /modified) are written to the XML file.   This is understandable since if no field is de-selected, and "Unknown" is true, then whatever goes through the tool is passed on
  • if unknown is false:
    • Only fields that are selected (or modified) are written to the XML file.    Again, this is logically understandable.

However - we are hoping to scan our Alteryx jobs to spot where fields are not used and should be trimmed out earlier - and because of this behaviour of select-type tools (Select; join; etc), we cannot get a full view of all the fields known by the tool.

Can we please give the user an option to write ALL fields to the XML file irrespective of the "Unknown" flag?   This will give the added benefit of enabling every tool to know its fields on a fresh reload without having to rerun.

Example:

2017-09-26_9-03-55.png

Desired State:

2017-09-26_9-12-27.png

cc: @Ned 

Top Liked Authors