The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

On Right Clicking to "Comment" we should be able to convert it to "Tool Container" or "Tool Container" to "Comment". Also, it should map all the common configurations or similar. The mapping can be as such:

This example is from Comment to Tool Container,

Text --> Caption upto length 200 or so,..

Shape --> NA

Font --> NA

Text Color --> Text Color

Background Color --> Fill Color and Border Color

Text Alignment --> NA

Background Image --> NA

Transparency and Margin to Default 

It would be great to have the option to FILTER on the columns within the TEXT INPUT TOOL.

Example, in the screenshot below I would like to filter this on the FirmCode Alphabetically

TextTool.JPG

I have case where attached is the input excel file where column document name and document number is having hyperlink attached to it.  Wish we get functionality  to retain hyperlinks in those two column in the output excel file

There is MD5 hashing capability,using MD5_ASCII(String) and MD5_UNICODE(String) found under string functions

it seems to be possible to encrypt/mask sensitive data...

BUT! using the following site it's child's play to decrypt MD5 --> https://hashkiller.co.uk/md5-decrypter.aspx

I entered password and encrypt it with MD5 giving me 5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99

Site gave me decrypted result in 131 m/s...

It may be wise to have;

SHA512_ASCII(String) and

SHA512_UNICODE(String)

Best

Altan Atabarut @Atabarezz

Whenever Alteryx recognizes a field as a Date, it should default to Date, not Date/Time. I don't think I'm in the minority, but I rarely need to see the date AND the time. 99.9% of all of my date fields do not have a time associate with them; such as: Open Date, Close Date, Remodel Date, Lease Expiration Date, Lease Start Date, Date Record Updated, Relocation Date, etc., etc., etc. So I always get results like 4/1/2013 12:00:00, which makes it difficult to query against without changing to just Date. I would venture to guess that most people don't use the time either, but I may be wrong. So, defaulting to just Date would save a lot of us that extra step for each date column.

I've found that double-clicking in the expression builder results in varying behavior (possibly due to field names with spaces?)

It would be great if double-clicking a field selected everything from bracket to bracket inclusive, making it simpler to replace one field with another.

For instance:

Current:

IF [AVG AGE] >=5 THEN "Y" ELSE "N" ENDIF

Desired:

IF [AVG AGE] >=5 THEN "Y" ELSE "N" ENDIF

For many of us who use Alteryx to transform sensitive data, the Gallery is only a potential liability.  While Alteryx was able to disable the Gallery for us through a custom solution, it seems like users/account admins should be able to draw a hard line more easily and confirm Alteryx is only enabled to work on prem. 

Hi Alteryx Community and Developers!

Since the autodetect smtp was removed from Alteryx Designer, it's much more harder to send e-mails within the company (too many different e-mail addresses).

In place of autodetect, what do you think about to take the SMTP from field (like cc, bcc, subject, etc.)?

Please keep me posted about it 🙂

Thanks and all the best for the Community!

Kucsi

It would be great if Alteryx could introduce a tool implementing a Decision Model Notation (DMN)-style Decision Table as an option to remove business logic from a workflow.

Arbitrary business rules are frequently implemented against datasets in Alteryx workflows before actual processing occurs. The implementation of complex business logic frequently results in a spider web of join, filter, formula, and union tools. 

It would be awesome if we could edit annotations while the workflow is running.

I love annotating all my tools, and I'm often sitting there looking at my canvas right after hitting run and thinking, "I should annotate that!" and then moving on and forgetting after it's run.  I'm not sure if that's feasible or not, but I think it would be neat.  

It would be helpful to redirect Help Documentation searches to the latest version number.  When Googling problems I often get help page links that are for version 9.5 while I'm on version 11.7.  I'll usually change the version number in the URL to get to the right documentation.  It would be great if the version <11 documentation would automatically port forward to the current documentation with the option to go to older documentation for users on those versions.

Geohash is a latitude/longitude geocode system (public domain). It is a hierarchical spatial data structure which subdivides space into buckets of grid shape.

Geohashes offer properties like arbitrary precision and the possibility of gradually removing characters from the end of the code to reduce its size (and gradually lose precision).

As a consequence of the gradual precision degradation, nearby places will often (but not always) present similar prefixes. The longer a shared prefix is, the closer the two places are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohash

https://github.com/sharonjl/geohash-net

https://github.com/simplegeo/libgeohash/blob/master/geohash.c

Hello All,

Can you add the flexibility to access fields based on its position or index like a[1], a[2],... a[n]. a[1] being the first column. Also an option to get max[a] can give the last column and min[a] give the first column. In this way, we can easily subset the dataset. Most cases, we are handling survey data which has 1000s of columns and when we need to select certain columns, we have to manually select the column checkbox and its painful to select 100s of columns. It will be nice if there is an option to select based on ID or index. It will also be useful while doing multi-field formula with more number of fields, because currently there is no option to write formulaes based on field Name column in it. 

Regards,
Jeeva.

Could you please assess the idea of reverse engineering existing SQL code (in special inside DataWarehouse's code, thousands of LOCs filled with SELECT and JOINS) and replace it with Alteryx widgets?

Doing this will accelerate penetration rate of Alteryx products in large companies and dismantle IBM Cognos and their cousins.

Currently with Alias Manager you can only create Aliases for database connections. 

We use HDFS Connections to write files to HDFS so it would be really useful to use an Alias especially when promoting workflows to Alteryx Server. 

When attempting to save from Designer to Gallery the last step of the save is the validation step.  The validation step, as I understand it, checks to make sure there's a valid license on Gallery.  This counts as one of the processing "threads".  If your organization is constrained by the throughput on Gallery, this can cause delays. 

Our business only has the 2-thread service level for Alteryx Gallery.  Consequently, if someone is running long, drawn out workflows on Gallery, this can create delays in saving the file from Designer to Gallery.  It can also cause delays if there's a long "line" of workflows waiting to run.  I presume that the save attempt is put in line along with the other jobs on Gallery that have to run.  If this is the case, it could take a long time to complete the validation--tens of minutes or longer.  

That window being open keeps the user from being able to use Designer at all.  Very inefficient.  There should be a requirement that the user has both valid licenses on Designer and on Gallery before they can run anything on Gallery.  However, the validation of both of those is already accomplished by virtue of the fact that Designer checks for a license whenever the program loads.  Also, if Gallery checks for the license anytime the workflow runs, then the second half of this check is already accomplished and, therefore, renders the check when saving to Gallery unnecessary.  Please correct me if i'm wrong on this. 

Change #1) Please the validation of Gallery license when saving from Designer to Gallery.

Change #2) Please adjust Designer such that you can continue to edit workflows on the same session while other files are being saved to Gallery.

Change #3) If we can't get #1 or #2, please change the queueing process to put attempts to save to Gallery in the front of the line because they should take <1 second to validate the license while other workflows could take many minutes.

Functionality to append to Calgary Databases.  Currently we are unioning Calgary Database to another dataset and overwriting existing Calgary database.  Ability to append would cut down on data processing.

Olá, não sei se classifiquei a ideia na caixa correta, mas eu gostaria de ver uma ferramenta, provavelmente na aba "Transformar", e que traria o subtotal e total de um conjunto de linhas, sem ter que construir um fluxo somente para isso. Acredito que com uma ferramenta, apenas, o problema possa ser resolvido, como no exemplo anexo, o que é bem fácil de fazer no Excel, por exemplo.

In my environment, installing Core Data Bundle to network drive ("prepare a network install") runs for hours or days due to network factors. If interrupted, I need to start from scratch again.

These changes would greatly improve the installation:

1. Maintain verbose installer log to track progress and confirm that all selected files are successfully installed.
  2. Add a repair mode to the installer to repair interrupted installations. When run in this mode, only missing/corrupt data files will be re-installed as necessary (much faster than fresh install).
  3. Support use of a shortcut like "CURRENT" on my network drive to the real installation directory (say "Q3_2017"). This would allow me to point to the latest release and users who "register from a network location" via "CURRENT" shortcut path will always get the latest data files. As an administrator, I have no way to know if my Alteryx users are configured to use an obsolete data set that I want to clean up from my network drive.
  4. When I prepare a network installation, I'd like to specify an expiry date and warning message that users will see in their workflows if they access obsolete data sets. Example: "Core data set XXX is obsolete as of 12/31/2017. Register current version via \\my-network-drive\alteryx\???\DataInstall.exe...". Nice to have would be a warning date and an error date to provide grace period. This would be similar to the CASS data set expiry date.

Request: Currently Alteryx does not support a connector to SharePoint lists if those lists are on SP sites with claims-based authentication. Please add in this functionality so data can be imported directly into a workflow.

Rationale: Claims-based authentication can be used in situations where two workgroups (or companies) want to collaborate on information housed in a SharePoint list. The claims-based authentication allows for both "internal" and "external" consumers of the information to access the SharePoint site, perhaps with different permission levels.

However, if information is placed in a claims-based authenticated site, it cannot be accessed directly in Alteryx. Using the data in workflows becomes extremely difficult without cumbersome workarounds. The power and flexibility of Alteryx workflow scheduling, analysis, reporting, and notifications should be extended to cover data in all SharePoint sites.

Sample Use Case: I maintain a SharePoint site / list for vendors to report in on the status of projects we have assigned them. The site uses claims-based authentication to enable the vendors, who are not employees of our company, to access and update the list.

SharePoint's built-in workflows are adequate for notification and updating when a new item is added, or an item changes. However, I often want to obtain and send out snapshots of the data as they stand: how many items are open, how many have recently been closed within SLA, etc. This cannot be done within the SharePoint platform without extremely convoluted means and potentially tying up resources on the SharePoint server.

Alteryx has the perfect tools for easily performing this analysis and sending notifications to stakeholders -- and when using the Gallery scheduler, it can do so on an automated basis. However, without direct import into Alteryx from SharePoint, I need to have scheduled exports to an intermediary Excel file. Said intermediate export has issues with authentication, which would be resolved with a SharePoint connector that authenticates with saved credentials every time.

Top Liked Authors