community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!

1 Review

Our submission guidelines & status definitions before getting started

2 Search

The community for a solution or existing idea before posting

3 Vote

By clicking the star in the top left corner of an idea you support

4 Submit

A new idea to suggest a product enhancement or new feature

Suggest an idea
0 Stars

A user may need to perform regression test on their workflows when there is a version upgrade of Alteryx. To save users time and effort, users can be encouraged to submit a few workflows in a secure area of the Alteryx Gallery. Prior to a version release, the Alteryx product testing team can perform a regression test of these workflows using automation. Thus when users receive an upgraded version of Aleryx it is more robust and with the added assurance that the workflows they had submitted will continue to work without errors.  

0 Stars

Similar to the regular formula tool, it would be great if we would be able to configure multiple text to column processes within one tool rather than having to line up several tools when having to convert various fields of different logic at the same time.

0 Stars

Hi,

I was told this feature is working as intended/designed, so I decided to post an idea to see if there was interest in the feature I'm looking for.

In debugging a workflow that another Alteryx user at my company was developing, we realized that an in-db connection was inadvertently pointing to the wrong environment.  Because of how in-db tools output messages, there wasn’t anything visual pointing to this as an issue without manually inspecting the connection in “Manage In-DB Connections”.  Since I’ve encountered some challenges with In-DB connections before, I suggested using the Dynamic Output In-DB tool, which I’ve used before for the “Input Connection String” option.

What I had never done before, and didn’t realize until I tested this, was use this with a connection that leverages an embedded SQL Server account username/password.  When using this type of connection, an error is thrown that says: “              Dynamic Output In-DB (1)             To use this tool select an appropriate data source and select the "Allow Decryption of Password" Password Encryption option in Manage In-DB Connections.”.  However, the tool still works and appropriately pulls the connection as it exists.

For security reasons, we don’t want decrypted passwords floating around in this information, and we can’t enable “allow decryption of password” in our server environment.

So, my request would be to either add logging to In-Database tools to pass the connection string information (similar to regular input tools), or to add a method for outputting a connection string without a decrypted password that doesn't cause an error in Alteryx.

Screenshots below for reference.

claje_INDBError2.png

claje_INDBError1.png

0 Stars

The Download tool allows for encrypted SFTP connections, but I recently discovered (the hard way) that the Alteryx capabilities are incomplete and the algorithms not fully up to date. Just adding an additional updated algorithm or two to the 4 available for message authentication would bring it up to date.

As back story, our firm has onboarded a new SFTP server, and all of a sudden my Alteryx SFTP workflows didn't work when I pointed them at the new server. After going back and forth extensively with the helpful folks at Alteryx, we discovered there's a gap in Alteryx's current capabilities.

Basically, the Alteryx download tool can use the old encryption algorithm and half of the new version, and half of the new version is like having half a bridge.

Up until 2017, SHA-1 was the most common hash used for cryptographic signing. Since then it's been slowing getting supplanted by SHA-2.

Alteryx can use SHA-2 for key exchanges, but not for message authentication (the HMAC algorithm). The internet seems to swear up and down that the old SHA-1 algorithm works just fine for message authentication, but I don't have the luxury of caring about that. All I know is that as of March 2019 the SFTP server I have to connect with has deprecated Alteryx's SHA-1 algorithm as being too out of date and only allows the new SHA-2 message authentication. 

Alteryx CAN use the up to date SHA-2 for key exchange (GOOD, halfway there!) but can only use (old) ways of doing message authentication that do NOT include SHA-2 (NOT GOOD!). Please add updated SHA-2 algorithms (hmac-sha2-512, hmac-sha2-256) to the HMAC mix too!

Many thanks,

Josiah

0 Stars

In the Output Data tool, when the file type is YXDB, one of the options is to Save Source & Description.

Splitting these into "Save Source" and "Save Description" -- independent options -- would be useful.

Sometimes I don't want the file recipient to know how a field was derived but I want to include a description.

Right now there is no easy way of doing this.

0 Stars

I'm not doing a report but extracting data from a report 30 times to assign where the data goes.

It would be nice if in the "Output Data" tool if there was a check box to remove all field names so there is only data

Thanks! 

0 Stars

In version 2018.1 there was a known issue with the profile visualization for numeric data (y-axis wasn't in order). When that issue occurred, there was also a change to the box & whisker plot.

It used to be that the B&W plot was based on the Mean, but when the issue occurred it was replace with the Median.

It appears that the y-axis order issue has been fixed, however the B&W plot is still based on the Median. Since a B&W plot is always the same for a Median perspective (the Median is ALWAYS in the middle), a plot based on the Mean is much more informative of what the data looks like.

It would be great if the profiling visualization could be reverted back to using the Mean instead of the Median.

0 Stars

Good afternoon,

I work with a large group of individuals, close to 30,000, and a lot of our files are ran as .dif/.kat files used to import to certain applications and softwares that pertain to our work. We were wondering if this has been brought up before and what the possibility might be.

0 Stars

Hello all,

Within the databases that I work in, I often find that there is duplicated data for some columns, and when using a unique tool, I have little control of what is deemed the unique record and which is deemed the duplicate.

A fantastic addition would be the ability to select which record you'd like to keep based on the type + a conditional. For example, if I had:

Field 1Field 2Field 3
1aNULL
2a15

I would want to keep the non-null field (or non-zero if I cleansed it). It'd be something like "Select record where [Field 1] is greatest and [Field 2] is not null" (which just sounds like a summarize tool + filter, but I think you can see the wider application of this)

I know that you can either change the sort order beforehand, use a summarize tool, or go Unique > Filter duplicates > Join > Select records -- but I want the ability to just have a conditional selection based on a variety of criteria as opposed to adding extra tools.

Anyways, that's just an idea! Thanks for considering its application!

Best,

Tyler

0 Stars

I would like to know the run time user for workflows in Gallery. Possibly changing the run time username in the gallery. I know we could include the credentials at workflow save to gallery but that means I have to open the workflow and change the credentials.Also, we could change the worker process to be run with certain credentials I will have to be admin to be able to do edit worker process setup.

Thanks

0 Stars

This is an interface issue but I wish Alteryx can allow user to scroll across the ribbon toolbar (e.g. In/Out, Prep, Join, Spatial tools...) when the toolbar is active.

That is, for example, when I click on "Transform" and notice my tool is not there, I can quickly scroll my mouse to move to other toolsets. Microsoft Office is a best practice for this and I think this will make it much efficient to locate tools.

Idea.png

0 Stars

It would be extremely helpful if the Alteryx documentation expanded more on how to specify a basic character class from within the documentation page:

https://help.alteryx.com/10.6/index.htm#boost/character_class_names.html%3FTocPath%3DReference%7CBoo...

so that you could easily tell Alteryx what character class you want, as outlined here:

Currently, it is very hard to look at the documentation, and know what characters encompass what class. Adding this would be extremely useful. The only way I found the syntax was through the formula menu, which is depressing that its not on the function reference page itself:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/RegEx-Perl-Syntax-Guide/ta-p/1288

6-1-2017 11-43-01 AM.jpg.png

0 Stars

Can there be a User or System setting option for Desktop Designers to save the default SMTP server to be used for all email functionalities?

I recently upgraded from 2018.1 to 2019.1 version and with that lost the "Auto detect SMTP server" option in the email tool. 

The existing workflows still seem to work. However the email tool errors out when I make any enhancements to those existing workflows. Dictating the email tool to use the default SMTP server pre-configured by the user in the user/system setup options will be extremely helpful.

0 Stars

My organization is considering a move to a Microsoft Azure platform but requires support for Bring your Own Encryption (BYOE) or Bring Your Own Key (BYOK). As such, leveraging alteryx on this data lake would require this level of support.

I would like to see Alteryx support this in the future, ensuring that we are able to leverage the power of alteryx designer within this platform.

0 Stars

I have three groups: a control group, a group that got product A, and then a group that got product B. There is a way to test the differences across all groups rather than running separate t-tests (which introduces type I error several times). If my outcome is the percent of people who were contacted, I want to see if the percent is different across groups.

Control Group % who were contacted: 10%

Product A group % who were contacted: 25%

Product B group % who were contacted: 33%

I shouldn't have to run a t-test comparing control to A, then another comparing control to B, and then a third comparing A to B. I know the method is pairwise comparisons but I'm not finding how I can do this in alteryx and I've looked on the community and surprisingly the answer seems to be "you can't" but this is not a rare statistical test!

A product analyst at alteryx help build a macro in R to run the tests but the variables need to be categorical rather than continuous. The ideal solution is that an additional predictive analytics tool can run these ANOVA tests and there's something to specify whether the variable is categorical or continuous.

-Justin

0 Stars

Alteryx has a 3 hour demo session on CloudShare which is very useful for quick demos...

How about having most up to date version of Alteryx as a demo as a starter?

• Unfortunately it's 11.5 right now... Not 11.7!!!
  • I'm demoing the older, slower version to the clients.

Picture1.png

0 Stars

Wonder if it would be possible to have a set of SQL tools in Alteryx which to the user would look like you are dragging in a tool to manipulate the data (such as filtering data) but in the background it is updating the SQL (such as adding a WHERE clause) meaning the module runs faster. This would be easier than having to manually update the SQL code and would run quicker than bringing all data through and filtering afterwards.

I know there is currently the Visual Query Builder, but this is quite fiddly to use so would be good to have something more user-friendly.

0 Stars

This wasn't pretty (actually, it was challenging and pretty when I was done with it)!

My client receives files that include a static and dated name portion (e.g. Data for 2018 July.xlsx) within the file there are multiple sheets.  One sheet contains a keyword (e.g. Reported Data) but the sheet name also includes a variable component (e.g. July Reported Data).  I needed to first read a directory to find the most recent file, then when I wanted to supply the dynamic input with the sheet name I wasn't able to use a pattern. 

The solution was to use a dynamic input tool just to read sheet names and append the filtered name to the original Full Path.

[FullPath] + "|||<List of Sheet Names>"

This could then feed a dynamic input.

capture.jpg

Given the desire to automate the read of newly received "excel" data and the fluidity of the naming of both files and sheets, more flexibility in the dynamic input is requested.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Stars

Hi,

As it is so important to be able to calculate and present time related concepts in modern businesses, it is not possible to have a better output choice?  I have seen the reporting chart tool, I have looked at the TS Plot tool and even noticed that the Laboratory Charting tool has disappeared.  So can you please provide an output tool that provides some focused functionality on this lacking part?

Kind regards,

Peter 

0 Stars

In the same way In-DB generates SQL, might it be possible to have an In-PowerBI and generate DAX?

Top Starred Authors