Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

double-click from tool pallet

The following idea might not be as valuable as some of @SeanAdams posts, but it would save this user precious fractions of time.   When I leave the canvas with my mouse (point A) to go up to the pallet I select and drag the tool down to the canvas.  Sometimes I do right-click and go through the menus to add the next tool, but generally I go through that labor only when I'm inserting in-stream the tool.  So here is my idea:

Double-Click your NEXT tool and it "Alteryx-ly" appears on your canvas in proximity to the hi-lighted (last) tool.  Better yet, connect it!  Now I can move from the pallet to the configuration panel directly without having to move my mouse down to the canvas and then over to the configuration panel.

Hopefully, my friend @Hollingsworth will find this time-saving idea worthy of a star.  Speed demons like @NicoleJohnson and @BenMoss might not need this turbo boost, but at my age it is worth the ask.

Cheers,

Mark

15 Comments
seven
12 - Quasar
Gopinaath
8 - Asteroid

I have no issue with this being implemented but it just needs to be thought out properly and please make sure that there is an option in user settings to disable the feature as it does not seem like everyone would prefer this to be enabled globally. For sure, I know I would be disabling this feature in user settings. I would rather drag the tool to the correct anchor than click the anchor and then double-click a tool. It's a very minor time difference compared to just dragging the tool to the right anchor.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepted

Thank you for your feedback!

Our product team would like to include the double click tool palette functionality in an upcoming release. We'll update this idea again once we get close to the release of this feature!

NeoInfiniTech
8 - Asteroid

This is a very good idea. In order to make it possible to connect to the right tool/anchor easier, after double clicking the tool, there could be two options (in User Settings): "Automatically Insert After Highlighted Tool" or "Select Which Tool to Insert After". If user chooses the latter, a "View Possible Connections" context menu could pop up, with a dynamic preview on the canvas regarding which tool the new tool would be connected to. For both options ("Automatically Insert After Highlighted Tool" or "Select Which Tool to Insert"), if the selected tool has more than one anchor, user could also select which anchor it would be connected to.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you all for your idea and feedback!

This feature has been included into the 2021.1 version of Designer which you can download here!