The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

XML Parse Tool: Do not pass parsed field

Hello

My problem: I've used the download-tool to download a 40mb XML. Parsing the DonwloadData-field containing this XML results in about 6600 records. The XML-Parse Tool passes the orginal DownloadData field to each record, resulting in quite a bit of memory usage:

XML-Parsing ProblemXML-Parsing Problem

Suggestion: An option in the XML-parse Tool to not pass the parsed field in its output. 

Marco

20 Comments
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I'm guessing there's a way to trim that down: we should be able to tweak the XML parse tool to just return the data we're interested in rather than generating as many copies of the entire XML as there are records of interest. If your workflow can be shared, feel free to attach it and someone can help spot the correct adjustments.

ScottG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I, too, would like to see this feature to prevent sending the original XML, in each record, out of the XML Parse Tool.  I am parsing a 19 MB XML file whose resulting output should be ~3835 records.  19 MB * 3835 records is ~73 GB. Way more than my 16 GB of RAM. In fact, I may not even have 72 GB of disk space remaining. Which would explain why Alteryx locks up on this tool.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

This post needs to gain some traction. We broke a PETABYTE last night.

A PETABYTE...A PETABYTE...

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Treyson I'm shocked they had a "PB" tag! 

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@patrick_digan I'm shocked my desktop didn't melt all over my desk

dataMack
12 - Quasar
Nice work hitting 1PB in a flow- i'm sure Ned would be proud!
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

We really need "like" buttons for comments here.  That PB picture would be piling 'em up.  That's awesome!

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

What is even more impressive is that this was accomplished on a standard desktop computer with only a 500GB hard drive and 16 GB of ram, so I'm curious about how it is even possible to store or process 1.2PB of data on this desktop machine in this workflow.

I suspect the file size is overstated...

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

We will be making some improvements to the XML Parse tool and will consider this among those improvements. 

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I am commenting to try to bump this one to be more visible. I'll be looking into this in the coming weeks. Thanks everyone for all the comments, I too wish I could like some of these comments.