Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Would be great to not have to re-run the whole canvas

For very complex canvases and api data pulls that take a long time, it would be great that as we're working through the canvas to put flags or some setting that would allow us to keep data already pulled into a tool. This way I can set a certain tool to keep all of its data and then all tools i work on from that point forward will pull from that tool rather than from the beginning of the canvas.

for ex.

input tool --> api tool --> formatting tools --> new tools being worked on

if i can set the end of the formatting tools to keep all data then when i run the canvas only the new tools being worked on would get refreshed

i hope that's clear... currently it's very frustrating that any small change i make, i have to rerun the whole canvas and that takes a while

5 Comments
Crispy131
8 - Asteroid

Completely agree! I've been wanting something like this! Currently waiting for a workflow I'm in the middle of building to finish running which usually takes 3.5 hours but one of the first steps (a macro) takes the majority of the time and I know that part is fine. Would LOVE it if I could save the output from that point so that the next time I run the workflow it just picks up that output data instead of starting from the beginning.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Mond and @Crispy131. This is already available (somewhat) in Alteryx via the cache and run option within workflows. There are a few conditions to this (single output/'circular' position). However, AYX have mentioned support for multi-output caching in the next release. More info on CAR here: https://theinformationlab.nl/en/2022/05/10/alteryx-cache-and-run-workflow/#:~:text=It%20is%20very%20....

I've used this feature whilst building workflows with long-running macros and APIs in order to reduce calls against my access key and to save the download and run time.

Mond
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath nice! i didn't know about that option 😅

Mond
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath actually ran across an issue for the cache and run option. It doesn't work well for data in the middle of the workflow. I have the following picture and my API output macros cannot be cached it won't allow me, even though they are on direct path to the original input.

Mond_0-1670352436942.png

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes