The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Would be great to not have to re-run the whole canvas

For very complex canvases and api data pulls that take a long time, it would be great that as we're working through the canvas to put flags or some setting that would allow us to keep data already pulled into a tool. This way I can set a certain tool to keep all of its data and then all tools i work on from that point forward will pull from that tool rather than from the beginning of the canvas.

for ex.

input tool --> api tool --> formatting tools --> new tools being worked on

if i can set the end of the formatting tools to keep all data then when i run the canvas only the new tools being worked on would get refreshed

i hope that's clear... currently it's very frustrating that any small change i make, i have to rerun the whole canvas and that takes a while

5 Comments
Crispy131
8 - Asteroid

Completely agree! I've been wanting something like this! Currently waiting for a workflow I'm in the middle of building to finish running which usually takes 3.5 hours but one of the first steps (a macro) takes the majority of the time and I know that part is fine. Would LOVE it if I could save the output from that point so that the next time I run the workflow it just picks up that output data instead of starting from the beginning.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Mond and @Crispy131. This is already available (somewhat) in Alteryx via the cache and run option within workflows. There are a few conditions to this (single output/'circular' position). However, AYX have mentioned support for multi-output caching in the next release. More info on CAR here: https://theinformationlab.nl/en/2022/05/10/alteryx-cache-and-run-workflow/#:~:text=It%20is%20very%20....

I've used this feature whilst building workflows with long-running macros and APIs in order to reduce calls against my access key and to save the download and run time.

Mond
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath nice! i didn't know about that option 😅

Mond
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath actually ran across an issue for the cache and run option. It doesn't work well for data in the middle of the workflow. I have the following picture and my API output macros cannot be cached it won't allow me, even though they are on direct path to the original input.

Mond_0-1670352436942.png

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes