Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Workflow Outputs switched off indicator

Whilst the "Disable All Tools that Write Output" option within the Runtime Settings in Designer is useful.

I think a Workflow "Live" status / indicator could be really useful?

One key thing we have to seriously remind people whenever they start using Designer, especially when they are potentially picking up a workflow that some else has built is to sternly remind them that they need to understand the workflow outputs properly before pushing the run button!

One thing we do to get this message across is to demo the disable outputs option.

What would be better is to have some kind of interface / visual similar to the browse tool visuals that are created. But within the canvas / workflow / runtime config window?

This would instantly draw users attention to the fact that the workflow is connected to live outputs and that they should proceed with caution / turn off outputs etc. 

6 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @CristonS, this should be in Designer Ideas rather than Community ideas 😄

CiaranA
10 - Fireball

@Joe_Lipski @CristonS - Apologies! Can it be moved?

MikeLR
8 - Asteroid

Hi @CiaranA  We try to manage this scenario using bright-red containers that we leave disabled to make it really obvious to other users. That way they need to make a conscious decision to expand the container to ensure the target system is updated. Perhaps this would help cover your requirements?

MikeLR_0-1621508183599.png

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I tend to use both approaches. @MikeLR what you’ve outlined is good when there are handful of output files, however above this the global switch that @CiaranA mentioned is easier to turn on/off. While the output tools become hashed to indicate that they are turned off, a banner or something at the top of the workflow to indicate this state would be a neat addition (speaking form experience where I’ve run something only to realise writing to outputs is turned off!).

DanielG
12 - Quasar

@CiaranA   - I agree with this. 

I tend to always have it set to the opposite of what I need it to be, so it would be great as a banner across the top of the workflow like this...  😀

DanielG_0-1638365630664.png

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes