The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Workflow Control using Detour

The "Detour" tool is incredibly useful in Macros. However, it really isn't much use in the normal workflow area.

We need a "Detour" tool suitable for normal Workflow (not from within a Macro) which would greatly aid in workflow controls and logic.

4 Comments
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Did you know within a standard workflow you can change the output which is used by ticking detour to the right in the configuration pane for the tool?

But I agree that the way to control workflows when not in macro mode is not that user friendly, so if you could have a config pane to control the workflow at a global level instead of individual tools that would be really helpful. What do you have in mind?

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

thanks for posting @jrobiso2 ! I am interested in your response, as well.

jrobiso2
8 - Asteroid

I think it's pretty self-evident that the Detour Tool functionality for normal workflows (not apps or Macros) would be better served if it had more options and didn't require an "End Detour".  Maybe a new tool called "Flow Control" or something like that.

i.e. "If Input column X = 'yes', then detour RIGHT. Else, detour LEFT". No End Detour should be required.

In my current workflow, I wanted to be able to say "If today is a Friday, do this extra work. Else, just output current data". As it stands, I have to do the extra work and then Filter out any non-Friday rows and still do the normal daily work. It's a LOT of excess cycles (the yxdb in question is 10GB in size).

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes