Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Wild Card Sheet Names

Would be amazing if we can use a wildcard to input data from multiple sheets within an Excel workbook. 

This would be particularly useful when dealing with older Excel spreadsheets such as .XLS and .binary spreadsheets such as .XLSB.

7 Comments
josephschafer
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

There's already a way to do this but it does require two tool: Input and Dynamic Input.  It's not too complicated though.

josephschafer_0-1597759327159.png

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

Hey @josephschafer 

Thank you for sharing this with me.

It doesn't solve my issue while using legacy documents such as .XLS and .XLSB...

josephschafer
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Ah.  Yep.. I see what you mean.  

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

I've conducted a quick review of this idea to insure it has all the necessary components present for when the criteria is met for the idea to be submitted to product, and it looks good. Be sure to check out the other product idea boards as well as like any other ideas that would benefit you!

DMURPHY
6 - Meteoroid

Another vote for this idea.  

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

Newt
8 - Asteroid

What I seek is a way to accept changing sheet names.

Say you download an Excel file each week with the same name, but the sheet name changes with that day's date, such as "Data 23-01-01"  then "Data 23-01-08" and so on.

If I could have the Input tool accept sheet names with a wild card, like "Data*" then I would be very happy,