Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Which version of macro is in use?

When you right click on a Macro tool (e.g. Google Analytics) within a workflow, you can choose the version of the tool to use. However, it does not indicate which version of the tool is already in use. 

Why is this an issue for me?

I have a workflow with 15 instances of the Google Analytics tool.  (I needed to use the API for each month fo GA data and then use a join. I built it this way due to the restriction on the number of records.)

So when I update the Google Analytics tool I have to do it 15 times. I'd like to be sure the update is needed before I start. 

Alteryx Support confirm that there is no way to tell which version of the macro is in use. 

9 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into this. 

fharper
12 - Quasar

I don't use GA but this caught my eye as I scan the "Needed Comments" and "Under Review" categories.  You say you need to run 15 iterations due to a limitation, i see the limit of 10 metrics mentioned.

Not sure which why there are many versions or what the differences are but they are separate distinct macros sharing a base name.  As such by choosing a version that is not the default you get that different version of code inserted into the flow.  It is a physical action, not a run-time software type of switch.

However if you want the same version in each use then you might build a macro to feed this GA macro the ID, Secret and Tokens and the search options would all be the same but which metrics, dates and other parameters would change with each iteration.  Build a file where each row is one iteration of parameters and feed it into the new macro wrapping up the GA macro.  the output would be a single stream same as if you used a Dynamic Input tool.  if needed you can add a formula to create a unique value for each iteration so you can separate them if needed.

This macro is editable and is composed of a number of editable macros ultimately driving a connection tool you can't open.

My thinking is the macro could be modified to capture all the parameters and feed them where appropriate effectively making a Ga version of the dynamic input tool.  

This would allow you to set the macro version once instead of 15 times but of course depending on how each differs you might need to modify the new version to work with the modifications proposed.  

This also simplifies your flow from the Union to all tools left of the Union.

Hopefully only one version is needed...or even better Alteryx may do this for each as an enhancement to the existing set of versions...i expect they would be able to do it very quickly.

This is shooting from the hip but I feel comfortable the idea is solid and fairly easy to do.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

fully agree with your suggestion @HelenL - especially as we get into more advanced dependancies with macros across a big team.

There's a few other ideas related to macros - it's well worth you going through some of the old ones that are not yet in a completed state and adding your support / comments.

HelenL
8 - Asteroid
Excellent! I’m very pleased to have had an idea adopted.

Helen Lindsay
Associate, Bowen Craggs & Co
hlindsay@bowencraggs.com
jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

This is a good suggestion and it will be included in the 2019.3 release.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

This is now available in the 2019.3 release. Download it at http://downloads.alteryx.com

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

So now what? How do you see which version of a macro you have? 

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

Right click on the tool to view the versions, and there will be an indicator showing which the current version in use is.

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

Actually you have to: 

1. Crack/Open the Macro by right clicking and selecting "Open Macro"

2. Go to the Metainfo tab

3. Look under "Tool Settings"

There you'll see the version of the Macro you're using. 

For instance, that's how I found out which version of the Publish to Tableau Server Tool I'm using: 

davidhenington_0-1631639144800.png

(I am on 2021.1)