The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Wait Tool

It would be nice to have the ability to have a workflow wait/pause tool that would pause the workflow for a given amount of time before proceeding to the next step (i.e. wait 300 seconds). 

I have a workflow that uses the Run Command to run a batch file that kicks of a terminal emulator that cycles through steps the ultimately result in an exported text file that I use in an Alteryx workflow for further processing. The generation of the text file can take a few minutes. A delay could be placed in the batch file or terminal emulator script, but I think having a tool in the Alteryx workflow might be useful for other processes as well.

14 Comments
epp3000
5 - Atom

Is there a tool for output file step to finish?

Bilbottom
7 - Meteor

I agree that this tool would be handy -- another workaround is to use the R tool with the Sys.sleep() command.

For example, putting the following code in the R tool will wait for 10 seconds before moving on to the next tool:

data <- read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame")
Sys.sleep(10)
write.Alteryx(data, 1)

Here's a workflow example with the code above in the R tool:

Bilbottom_0-1619174951983.png

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

@Bilbottom Thanks for this idea! One issue i am running into however, is that even though i only have the R Tool Step in the second leg of my ETL that i am trying to delay, it is also slowing down the processing of my main ETL that is not part of leg that includes the R Tool. Not sure why this would be happening. I have tried playing with the delay time but it still ends up running out of sequence. Any ideas on why it would be slowing down the portion of the ETL that doesnt include the timer?

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes