Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Visual Query Builder - Save Layout of Model

When you use the Visual Query Builder, you can drag and drop tables to arrange them clearly (to show the star or snowflake schema, for instance). 

When you close the Visual Query Builder and reopen it, the tables are all left-aligned in a long column, with the joins overlapping each other. Since many of our tables are very wide (i.e., with many columns), this makes it cumbersome to locate the correct table and field.

I would like the manual positioning of the tables to be saved in the Visual Query Builder, to

1. Make the logical arrangement clearer to the developer and later users
  2. Make it easier to locate tables/fields without scrolling downward

This is a feature that our users were very accoustomed to in Hyperion Intelligence, our legacy BI tool, which works similarly to the Visual Query Builder (shown below).

Hyperion Intelligence Model

13 Comments
bkornell1
6 - Meteoroid

Additional Note: 

The columns at the bottom of the screen are also very narrow. 

In particular, the 'Expression' column (for an Oracle connection) includes the schema (if not the default), table name, and field name.

Its default size shows only 10-15 upper-case characters, which is far too short. I always have to widen it manually.

It would be helpful as well if the width of the columns were saved. Failing that, please make the 'Expression' column wider by default.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I agree with your comments about the expression columns being too narrow.

However, there is a workaround to prevent the left/vertical-alignment of tables.

First: make sure that your default input option for Data Input tool is the SQL editor, not the Visual Query Editor (VQE).

Now, this next part assumes you're going in to edit an existing input.

When you open the Data Input tool and it defaults to the SQL Editor, your next step is to maximize the editor screen.  Once you've done that, then click on the VQE tab.  If you've followed those steps, your tables will be horizontally aligned with the joins not overlapping.

Let me know if you can't get it to work after that.  I can put together some screen shots or something.

bkornell1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, Patrick! This workaround is very helpful.

MikeMoss
7 - Meteor

I just wish I had more stars or upvotes to give this idea!

bryan
5 - Atom

New user here, and I just came by to make this exact same request for the visual editor:  save the table layout and the column sizing below where I'm constantly expanding the expression field.  It would provide a big improvement to my UX!

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

The visual query builder should have the same look and feel as the Alteryx workflow view. I would love it if I could see the Visual Query builder at the same as the Editor window. It would be a seamless experience to have the editor window on the left side like any of the other tools (DB search window where formulas normally are), visual query in the main area and the sample on bottom where the results window normally is.

edc
5 - Atom

Sometimes in 11.0 the Visual Query Builder freezes. Our workaround so far is to click between the tabs. When we come back, it's back. Manually positioning the tables would be a major benefit.

vball5
5 - Atom

I would love for the Visual Query Builder to remember the table layout and column sizing so when you go back in you don't have to rearrange the all each time.  

Thank you, 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

...and also the query format.   MAN it winds me up that you take the SQL, pretty print it in something like Aqua Data Studio to be readable, and when you switch to the table view you lose everything you just did.

From what I understand, the query tool used in Alteryx is a 3rd party tool, so hopefully this will be an area that Alteryx invest in at some point to build a new query tool that brings this up to the same level of quality that we're seeing from the Alteryx 11 generation of tools.