Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Unique Tool Enhancement: Adding "Dynamic or Unknown Fields" Selection

I have need to Unique my data on all fields. However, I do not know all the fields that will be in my data because of a Dynamic Select tool (or in some cases a Cross Tab tool). The Unique tool defaults to having any new fields be unchecked in its configuration. Without finding some work around, I will be unable to schedule this workflow or turn it into an app for use on the Gallery without risking duplication caused by the Unique tool that fails to capture new/different fields that may come through the data.

To solve this problem and be consistent with other tools in Alteryx, the following features need to be added to the Unique tool:

1. The user should be able to check a "Dynamic or Unknown Fields" option that will enable Alteryx to include any new fields in the data as part of the Unique (or any fields that have their names changed).
  2. If a field that was checked in the Unique tool before no longer exists, it should appear yellow (like the missing fields in the Select tool) and produce a warning in the Results window. The option to "Forget all missing fields" will also need to be added.
8 Comments
BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi @DultonM,

This discussion came up at Inspire Europe and I agree there is a need for updating how the Unique tool works.   We will consider these options for Unique as we look to revamp the individual tools with new and more consistent functionality.

In the meantime, one of our developers, @AdamR_AYX, quickly put together a macro that accomplishes the Unique functionality that you're looking for.  PM me your email address and I can send you the macro to try out.

Thanks,
Ben

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I would also like to see a .yxft file (so I can save the field configuration) created for the Unique tool. Then at least if I were aware of what is coming out of the dynamic tools I wouldn't have to worry about losing my settings which has happened on occasion when I am clicking around the workflow and I haven't ran it in a while.

Ashok005
5 - Atom

HI @BenG,

Can you please send me the macro with "Dynamic or Unknown Fields" option or with same functionality.

Thanks,

Ashok

RsRoel
6 - Meteoroid

@BenG @AdamR if you have the Dynamic Unique macro still somewhere, I'd be highly appreciated if you can send it to me as well :) My email is: ruben,roel@accenture.com

Thanks!

Ruben

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for posting to the Alteryx Community! Our product team is interested in this idea, however we're unable to fit this idea on the current road map. However, we'd like to keep it in mind for future features and we'll update the status once we know if or when we can include this feature.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

At this time we are unable to include this idea in our near future roadmap due to competing priorities; as such we're updating it to Not Planned. However, should this change or we become able to return to this idea in the future we'll be sure to update this status. 

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

Biswarun
8 - Asteroid

Where are we on this?