The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Trim Whitespace from Text to Columns Results

Quick and (hopefully) simple one here.  Many times when I use the Text To Columns tool, there is still leading whitespace from comma separated lists with spaces.  It would save from the minor inconvenience of putting a Data Cleansing tool after each of these tools to include an Advanced Option to trim whitespace from the results.  I tried some workarounds using the empty fields and including spaces in the delimiters box, but this results in unwanted behavior.

Capture.PNG

5 Comments
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Trim(replace([Divisons],", ",','))

If before you parse the field, divisions, you were to replace all commas followed by a space with just a comma (or better yet a PIPE |) then you wouldn't need that data cleansing tool.

Here are some of the ideas that I might ask for in this tool:

• Since Alteryx has 1 record in memory, instead of # default to 3, have Alteryx put the right number based upon that first record.
  • Embed the select options to at minimum remove the original field from output
  • Convert the output to a data type of your choosing

Cheers,

Mark

mcarrico
9 - Comet

Thanks for the recommendation Mark.  Agreed that there are a number of ways to achieve this data cleansing, but I find myself doing this over and over so was just hoping for a quick convenience enhancement.  I would second your enhancements as well.

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

@mcarrico I agree with you. It is intuitive that items concatenated by columns are 'technically' separated by a comma and a space.

If we were to represent this text to columns logic in REGEX it would be: ,\s?

mcarrico
9 - Comet

Yes, except the spaces are optional so I would add a '0 or more qualifier' to the space specification (i.e. ,\s*)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes